Default How to move Y-axis values when X range is -a to +b

In an XY Scatter chart, if X has negative and positive
values, the Y-axis values are next to the Y-axis, which
of course is drawn through X = 0.

I would like the Y-axis values to always be on the left
side of the chart.

How can I make that happen?

Michael R Middleton

joeu2004 -

For a "manual" solution: Select the X axis. Choose Format Axis | Scale |
Value (Y) Axis Crosses At.

For an "always" solution, I think you need VBA.

- Mike

www.mikemiddleton.com

oups.com...

Michael R Middleton wrote:
For a "manual" solution: Select the X axis.
Choose Format Axis | Scale | Value (Y) Axis Crosses At.

Thanks. Silly me: I kept selecting the Y axis to format,
um, a characteristic of the Y axis. Klunk!

What you suggest works "well enough". My only complaint
is that it appears that I must select the "crosses at"
position based on an X-axis value. If the data changes,
that "crosses at" boundary might change.
But if that's the best I can, that's life!

Thanks so much.

Jon Peltier

If you always want it to cross at the minimum, enter a number that will
always be less than the minimum, like -100000000000. Excel won't really
cross the axis at -100000000000 if the actual minimum on the axis is -150.

An alternative, keep tha axis crossing where Excel wants to, but double
click the Y axis, and on the Patterns tab, select Low for axis label
position, rather than Next to Axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Jon Peltier wrote:
If you always want it to cross at the minimum, enter a number that

will
always be less than the minimum, like -100000000000. Excel won't

really
cross the axis at -100000000000 if the actual minimum on the axis is

-150.

Okay. I was afraid Excel might extend the range.
I shoulda tried it first.

An alternative, keep tha axis crossing where Excel wants to, but

double
click the Y axis, and on the Patterns tab, select Low for axis label
position, rather than Next to Axis.

Perfect! Intuitive. Thanks.