Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cannot Resize Workbook window

Have been working with the same Excel workbook for months. Today, when I
tried to open it, I found I could not maximize or resize the workbook.
The window control buttons (minimize, max, close) have disappeared and I
cannot get the resize arrow to appear so that I can resize it manually.

The workbook/worksheet is NOT protected and Full Screen view is NOT on.

Does anyone have any ideas other ideas on how I can restore resize
functionality to the workbook?

Mary
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Cannot Resize Workbook window

Hi Mary,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble resizing your Excel workbook window. Here are a few things you can try to restore the resize functionality:
  1. Check if the workbook is maximized: Sometimes, the workbook window can be maximized without the user realizing it. To check if this is the case, hover your mouse over the top of the Excel window until the cursor changes to a double-headed arrow. Then, click on the arrow to restore the window to its original size.
  2. Use the keyboard shortcut: You can also try using the keyboard shortcut to restore the window size. Press the "Windows" key and the "Left" or "Right" arrow key to snap the window to the left or right side of the screen. Then, use the same keyboard shortcut to snap it back to its original size.
  3. Reset the Excel window size: If the above steps don't work, you can try resetting the Excel window size. First, close all Excel workbooks. Then, press the "Windows" key and the "R" key to open the Run dialog box. Type "
    Formula:
    excel.exe /
    " (without the quotes) and press Enter. This will open Excel in Safe Mode. Open the workbook that you're having trouble with and resize the window to your desired size. Then, close Excel and reopen it normally. The window size should be restored.

I hope one of these solutions works for you. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are positive the workbook is not protected under ToolsProtection?

Have you just started using GroupWise in an older version of Excel?

The missing icons on the Title Bar on ALL workbooks could be due to
GroupWise being enabled.

If that's the problem. See this MSKB article

Article is specific for 97 - 2002 but may be valid for other versions.

It gives a workaround (use the file menu) and instructions as to how to
remove the Groupwise add-in that is responsible for this behavior.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 12:15:02 -0800, Nightmry
wrote:

Have been working with the same Excel workbook for months. Today, when I
tried to open it, I found I could not maximize or resize the workbook.
The window control buttons (minimize, max, close) have disappeared and I
cannot get the resize arrow to appear so that I can resize it manually.

The workbook/worksheet is NOT protected and Full Screen view is NOT on.

Does anyone have any ideas other ideas on how I can restore resize
functionality to the workbook?

Mary

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmry View Post
Have been working with the same Excel workbook for months. Today, when I
tried to open it, I found I could not maximize or resize the workbook.
The window control buttons (minimize, max, close) have disappeared and I
cannot get the resize arrow to appear so that I can resize it manually.

The workbook/worksheet is NOT protected and Full Screen view is NOT on.

Does anyone have any ideas other ideas on how I can restore resize
functionality to the workbook?

Mary
I'm not sure if this helps. But you can try it.

I just installed Microsoft Office for Mac - 2011.
As a result, I lost the bottom border of one of my most used workbooks. I also lost the bottom ribbon that allows me to move the columns horizontally. In addition, I lost the marker that allows me to manually resize the workbook.
I still could move the workbook around the screen but the view dimensions didn't change.

What was available to me was the top border of the workbook. I found out that if I grabbed this top border and crunched the whole workbook down toward the bottom of the screen, the vertical or up and down view of the workbook was resized. I just kept doing this until I got the vertical view I wanted with the bottom ribbon and manual resize marker both visible.