Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default help with text in column

I have a column of text, a description of my products) some have
characters up to say 500. My problem is I am uploading this spreadsheet
in to a program that limits the description column to 250 characters in
1 colum.I can use up to 4 column. Is there any formula that would allow
me to take the column with 500 characters and divide it in to 2 and
place the text in 2 columns? Since I have over 30,000 products it would
be very time sensitive doing them one at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gary''s Student

For text in A1, in B1 enter:
=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)/2)

In C1 enter:
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LEN(A1)/2)

--
Gary's Student

" wrote:

I have a column of text, a description of my products) some have
characters up to say 500. My problem is I am uploading this spreadsheet
in to a program that limits the description column to 250 characters in
1 colum.I can use up to 4 column. Is there any formula that would allow
me to take the column with 500 characters and divide it in to 2 and
place the text in 2 columns? Since I have over 30,000 products it would
be very time sensitive doing them one at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

Very clever.......so simple, yet so effective.......a keeper!

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

For text in A1, in B1 enter:
=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)/2)

In C1 enter:
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LEN(A1)/2)

--
Gary's Student

" wrote:

I have a column of text, a description of my products) some have
characters up to say 500. My problem is I am uploading this spreadsheet
in to a program that limits the description column to 250 characters in
1 colum.I can use up to 4 column. Is there any formula that would allow
me to take the column with 500 characters and divide it in to 2 and
place the text in 2 columns? Since I have over 30,000 products it would
be very time sensitive doing them one at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank You very much , this will help me immensly!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gary''s Student

You are very welcome!
--
Gary's Student

" wrote:

Thank You very much , this will help me immensly!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Another question if you don't mind, on that same coloumn, is it
possible to drop a line of text, I added"Shipping charges will apply
to orders under $100.00" and I want to remove it from all the items, as
I said I have 30,000 items, is it possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

Hi Pete,
You must have a very huge monitor.
I think you'd be better off to format the column with wrap
after loading up your worksheet.

Select column, Format, Cells, Alignment (tab), Wrap Text

--
HTH,

wrote in message oups.com...
I have a column of text, a description of my products) some have
characters up to say 500. My problem is I am uploading this spreadsheet
in to a program that limits the description column to 250 characters in
1 colum.I can use up to 4 column. Is there any formula that would allow
me to take the column with 500 characters and divide it in to 2 and
place the text in 2 columns? Since I have over 30,000 products it would
be very time sensitive doing them one at a time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

Hi Pete,
Okay maybe it makes more sense when included in this thread
(as opposed to the same post somewhere else).
I take it that you simply want to remove the text "Shipping charges will...."
from every cell in a column. Simply select the column and then
use the short cut Ctrl+H fill in the top with your string
and don't put anything into the replace with.
---
HTH,