Dave Mac

Default Plotting data in Excel

I would like to control where my secondary data is plotted along the x axis.
Currently, the graph clusters the data together (even though it is spread out
on the worksheet). I would like to line up the monthly totals (secondary
data) with the last plot for that month (primary data). That is, directly
behind the last date of the month, the month's total will also be plotted.
Any advice?
Dave Mac

Hi Barb

We have a junior credit union at our elementary school. The students make
weekly deposits (the weekly total is my primary data). At the end of the
month, we tally up for a month's end of total deposits (i.e. for October,
November, etc.) This monthly total is the secondary data. Ideally, I would
like to chart weekly data in the foreground and have the monthly total in the
background. I was experimenting with the 3-D bar graphs on Excel and was
successful in charting weekly deposits in the front and monthly total in the
background, however, the monthly totals are clumped together at the left side
of the chart. I want them evenly distributed with the month's ends.
Thanks

Dave

"Dave Mac" wrote:

I would like to control where my secondary data is plotted along the x axis.
Currently, the graph clusters the data together (even though it is spread out
on the worksheet). I would like to line up the monthly totals (secondary
data) with the last plot for that month (primary data). That is, directly
behind the last date of the month, the month's total will also be plotted.
Any advice?

Jon Peltier

Ah. Plot the weekly data first, using the actual dates. Make sure Excel
uses a time scale axis: choose Chart Options from the Chart menu, and on
the Axes tab, choose the Time Scale option under Category Axis. Then
plot the monthly summary data using month-end dates, and change the
series into a scatter series: select the series, choose Chart Type from
the Chart menu, and choose a Scatter type.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services