Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How does one insert an "R" With a CIRCLE AROUND IT?

thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A. =CHAR(174)
B. InsertSymbolSpecial character tab

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"wscud" wrote in message ...
| thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can probably get away with just typeing (r) in a cell. By default Excel
will auto corret it to an r with a circle around it...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thank you.

If you are using a PC (not sure if this will work on a Mac or not), you can
enter it directly from the keyboard. Wherever you want that symbol at
(either during the typing of the original text or by moving the caret to an
insert location), hold down the ALT key (and keep it down) while typing 0174
on the number pad. IMPORTANT... you must use the number pad to enter those
numbers and the zero cannot be omitted.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are using a PC (not sure if this will work on a Mac or not), you
can enter it directly from the keyboard. Wherever you want that symbol at
(either during the typing of the original text or by moving the caret to
an insert location), hold down the ALT key (and keep it down) while typing
0174 on the number pad. IMPORTANT... you must use the number pad to enter
those numbers and the zero cannot be omitted.

I guess I should expand on the above a little bit. On a PC, you can
physically type any character defined in a font with an ANSI value
(sometimes mis-called an ASCII value) of 128 or above (maximum 255) using
the above technique. Simply hold down the ALT key and key in 0 followed by
the three-digit ANSI code from the number pad and that character will be
"typed" in your text string.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Rick,

what if one does not have a separate numeric keypad? when i use the numbers
up top nothing happens.

tx,
Eric

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

If you are using a PC (not sure if this will work on a Mac or not), you
can enter it directly from the keyboard. Wherever you want that symbol at
(either during the typing of the original text or by moving the caret to
an insert location), hold down the ALT key (and keep it down) while typing
0174 on the number pad. IMPORTANT... you must use the number pad to enter
those numbers and the zero cannot be omitted.

I guess I should expand on the above a little bit. On a PC, you can
physically type any character defined in a font with an ANSI value
(sometimes mis-called an ASCII value) of 128 or above (maximum 255) using
the above technique. Simply hold down the ALT key and key in 0 followed by
the three-digit ANSI code from the number pad and that character will be
"typed" in your text string.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The "trick" REQUIRES the numbers be typed out on a numeric keypad; the
numbers on the main keyboard cannot be used. I don't know why that is, but
this functionality goes back to the earliest days the DOS operating system
and it has always required the number pad be used for entering the numbers.

If you don't have a separate number pad, then I assume the embedded one your
laptop can be used. Usually you activate the embedded number pad by using a
function key of some kind (perhaps a special function key for just that
purpose or perhaps a function-type shift key in combination with some other
normal function key). If you have never used your embedded number pad, see
your laptop's documentation on how to activate it.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Eric,

Select Tools / "Autocorrect options...." and then on the "Autocorrect" tab, select "Change text as
you type"

Then, by typing
(r)
you will get that symbol automatically.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

If you are using a PC (not sure if this will work on a Mac or not), you
can enter it directly from the keyboard. Wherever you want that symbol at
(either during the typing of the original text or by moving the caret to
an insert location), hold down the ALT key (and keep it down) while typing
0174 on the number pad. IMPORTANT... you must use the number pad to enter
those numbers and the zero cannot be omitted.

I guess I should expand on the above a little bit. On a PC, you can
physically type any character defined in a font with an ANSI value
(sometimes mis-called an ASCII value) of 128 or above (maximum 255) using
the above technique. Simply hold down the ALT key and key in 0 followed by
the three-digit ANSI code from the number pad and that character will be
"typed" in your text string.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Niek wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 17:45:56 +0200:

NO A. =CHAR(174)
NO B. InsertSymbolSpecial character tab

Both of these work of course but I only have Excel 2002 and,
while Word will insert the symbol with ALT+CTRL+r (and even
indicates the short cut in Insert symbolSpecial Character),
Excel does not. Has Excel been updated in later versions? One of
these days I may feel up to buying a new version of Office. The
option of using autocorrect on (r) works in both programs.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is not enough of an explanation to be helpful.

Banned

CẦM CAVET XE GIÁ CAO NHẤT THỊ TRƯỜNG 0916556949
- Nh*n cầm xe máy , xe tay ga các loại...... Không cần giữ xe .
- Cầm 70- 80% giá trị xe
- Thủ tục nhanh gọn , không rườm r* , có tiền liền .
- Không cầm xe gian, xe không ch*nh chủ, xe tháp.
Điều Kiện :
- Xe Ch*nh Chủ ,biển số Th*nh Phố Hồ Ch* Minh , Chứng minh nhân dân + hộ khẩu th*nh phố + 1 hóa đơn điện phải trùng địa chỉ với nhau mang lên để đối chiếu .
- Người đi cầm phải l* chủ xe v* phải đi ch*nh chiếc xe. LH: 0914776949
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc