Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel should let me create pivot tables of non-numeric data.

Basically, the need is to build multi-dimensional tables of text. This would
be more ideal in Word, but Excel PivotTables comes so close...if only it
allowed text data.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can make a pivot table of text data, as long as all you want is counts.
What are you trying to do?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Geek4Life" wrote in message
Basically, the need is to build multi-dimensional tables of text. This
would
be more ideal in Word, but Excel PivotTables comes so close...if only it
allowed text data.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would also like to have this capability. Basically, I don't want to
aggregate values I just want to use the filtering and grouping capabilities
of pivot tables.

For small sets of data, you can almost get what you want using numeric coded
values for the text. Then use conditional formatting to display the text.
However, what you really need is a lookup function that converts a number
into a text string to be displayed.

"Geek4Life" wrote:

Basically, the need is to build multi-dimensional tables of text. This would
be more ideal in Word, but Excel PivotTables comes so close...if only it
allowed text data.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps this will be helpful...