JKB

Default How do I insert the degree symbol in a column of numbers?

I have a column of numbers on the format ddmm.mmm and would like to insert a
degree symbol after the dd. I can do it one cell at a time. Can I do the
whole column at once somehow?
Anne Troy

Try this, JKB:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/s...oft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"JKB" wrote in message
I have a column of numbers on the format ddmm.mmm and would like to insert

degree symbol after the dd. I can do it one cell at a time. Can I do the
whole column at once somehow?

Jon Peltier

Are you simply constructing text strings? In a helper column, use a
formula like

=LEFT(A1,2)&"°"&RIGHT(A1,6)

This assumes that there are no items with only one digit in the degrees
part of the string. Hold down Alt while typing 0176 to get the degree
symbol.

You can then copy this range, select the original range, and use Edit
menu Paste Special Values to put the new text into those cells.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

JKB wrote:

I have a column of numbers on the format ddmm.mmm and would like to insert a
degree symbol after the dd. I can do it one cell at a time. Can I do the
whole column at once somehow?

Bryan Hessey

for general display purposes (to cover other formats too) perhaps
=TEXT(A1,"dd")&"°"&TEXT(A1,"mm.mmm")
might be better.

You would need to do this in a new inserted column B and Hide column A

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384607