R. Choate

Default Find duplicates

I know that Excel's advanced filter feature allows me to find unique items in a list, but I need to find duplicates in a list. I
know how to write a formula I can put in a blank column, which will give me duplicates within my list after I copy the formula down,
but this is a bit "too manual" for my needs. This requires me to write a new formula, or edit all the references, when I want the
information in a new file. Is there a more "built-in" way of getting this info? Why isn't Microsoft giving me this option when they
give me the ability to extract a list of unique values. It seems that if they go to the effort to provide unique items, they would
also provide duplicate items.
--
RMC,CPA

CLR

Check out Data Filter Autofilter........
it may do what you need..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"R. Choate" wrote in message
I know that Excel's advanced filter feature allows me to find unique items

in a list, but I need to find duplicates in a list. I
know how to write a formula I can put in a blank column, which will give

me duplicates within my list after I copy the formula down,
but this is a bit "too manual" for my needs. This requires me to write a

new formula, or edit all the references, when I want the
information in a new file. Is there a more "built-in" way of getting this

info? Why isn't Microsoft giving me this option when they
give me the ability to extract a list of unique values. It seems that if

they go to the effort to provide unique items, they would
also provide duplicate items.
--
RMC,CPA

Anonymous

If you start a blank document and go through the process of writing the
formula to find duplicates then applying it to the cell you want, you can
then use "save as" and at the bottom where it says "Save as Type" Choose
Template. Then when you want to use it in a new file just open the new file
using the template you created.

the other option is to create a macro, but this is more difficult because
you need to save it in a workbook under personal macro. It gives you this
option when you create the macro. btu then this workbook needs to be open
any time you want to use the macro. so you will have to open both the
document you want to use the macro in and the document personal where you
saved the macro.

"R. Choate" wrote:

I know that Excel's advanced filter feature allows me to find unique items in a list, but I need to find duplicates in a list. I
know how to write a formula I can put in a blank column, which will give me duplicates within my list after I copy the formula down,
but this is a bit "too manual" for my needs. This requires me to write a new formula, or edit all the references, when I want the
information in a new file. Is there a more "built-in" way of getting this info? Why isn't Microsoft giving me this option when they
give me the ability to extract a list of unique values. It seems that if they go to the effort to provide unique items, they would
also provide duplicate items.
--
RMC,CPA

RWN

The "other option" is not difficult.
Anything you save in the "Personal.XLS" will always be available when you open Xl.
Personal.xls is "open" but hidden.
FWIW, my method for storing macro's is to set them in another workbook which is also
hidden and placed in an alternate Startup folder. I tell XL where this folder is located
("Tools-Options-General" - "Alternate startup file location"). Anything placed here will
automatically be available when Excel is started (as will the Personal.xls which resides
in the default startup directory).
Either way, the macro(s) will be available. In my case, I have several utility type
macro's which I create buttons for and put them on a toolbar which is part of my default
workbook. This allows me to execute them on any open workbook.

--
Regards;
Rob
"Anonymous" wrote in message
<snip

the other option is to create a macro, but this is more difficult because
you need to save it in a workbook under personal macro. It gives you this
option when you create the macro. btu then this workbook needs to be open
any time you want to use the macro. so you will have to open both the
document you want to use the macro in and the document personal where you
saved the macro.

<snip

R. Choate

I'm sorry guys. Using a template is not a solution to my situation and using macros was not what my question was about. Further, the
discussion of the Personal.XLS from "Anonymous" was not correct information. I appreciate that people try to help, but collectively
we can send users in the wrong direction with this type of information. I would prefer to end this thread rather than have it go off
on a tangent about Personal.XLS. I began this thread because it seemed illogical for Excel to give us the ability to view, via
advanced filter, the unique items from a list, but not give us the opposite information, which is the list of duplicates. As I've
said before in the thread, I know how to do this via formula, but my project is not a candidate for template treatment.

I will handle it with code, but I would like it if MS would have provided a head start with some built-in functionality that would
help me get a list of duplicates. Nobody has indicated that they know of any such feature, and I am not aware of such a feature, so
I did my due diligence by asking. Now I will solve the problem with file-specific code. I don't want to have this in my Personal.XLS
because this is just a small part of a much larger project.

Thanks for all of your ideas. I know that everybody meant well, even when the information was wrong. I do appreciate the time and
the attempt. Please also remember that if we don't actually know the answer to something, perhaps it is best to leave it to somebody
who does. Sometimes, as in my case, there is no answer

RMC