gg96555

Default How do I change the excel chart default plot area color?

The plot area default color for excel charts is grey. How do I permanently
make it white?
John Mansfield

My preferred choice would be to create a series of different charts with
white plot areas. Store each of these charts as user defined. To do so,
click on one of the charts you have just created. Go to the standard toolbar
and hit Chart - Chart Type - Custom Types Tab -User Defined. Then select
the chart to be your default type.

Outside of creating user defined charts, Excel stores charts that are used
for the built-in custom chart types in a file called xl8galry.xls. Search
your directories until you find the file. You can make formatting changes to
this group of charts too although they may not be your default. If you do so
make sure to make a copy of the file. Personally, I would leave well enough
alone and just use the first suggestion.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"gg96555" wrote:

The plot area default color for excel charts is grey. How do I permanently
make it white?

Jon Peltier

Another alternative is to adjust your color palette. Select Options on
the Tools menu, click on the color tab, and use the Modify button to
apply the gray color to the spot on the palette which is now white, and
vice versa.

Also notice the bottom two rows of the palette are labeled Chart Lines
and Chart Fills. If you don't like the default chart series colors
(despite their natural attractiveness), you can use Modify to insert
colors you prefer.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP