Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jinx1966

Default Hyperlink won't open any other XLS file

I have a problem getting another XLS file to open from a hyperlink within a
XLS file.

I have a workbook containing several worksheets of business processes. Each
of these worksheets contain hyperlinks to the same related external documents
(doc, xls, ppt etc), i.e. single file linked to from multiple places. Each of
these external documents is distributed around our network and are subject to
being moved about. As an external document may be referenced from upward of
20 locations within the XLS, any changes to the target document causes a
large maintenence effort. So I included an index worksheet which contains 3
columns. One for the hyperlink display text, one for the hyperlink path and
one containing the hyperlink formula. I can now copy the 3rd cell to the rest
of the worksheets where required. The hyperlink path points to a single
(fully quilified) directory containing shortcut files (.lnk) to the external
documents.

On worksheet "Index"
A1 TextToShow
B1 \\Servername\Sharename\shortcutfilename.lnk
C1 =HYPERLINK(Index!$A$1,Index!$B$1)

Thus I can amend the shortcut file to point at a new location should the
target file be moved or renamed etc. I can also I update the path and/or text
on the index worksheet and all the other hyperlinks in the workbook are
updated automatically.

This has worked fine for over a year, and still does for all but XLS files.
Word DOC, powerpoint PPTand even PDF load up with no problem, but an XLS just
results in turning the mouse pointer to a "timer" but still allowing the
normal "arrow" functionality. The hyperlinked XLS file never displays.

If the hyperlink path is pasted into the StartRun dialogue, then the file
is loaded aok!

This used to work fine for XLS files. Unfortunatley, the last time that I
can verify that ths worked without the XLS issue, is back in October 2005. I
suspect a security settings update has caused this but can't find anything.

Other points:
This problem manifests itself on all our machines.
The standard warning message about possible virus infection from this file
type is displayed (only occurs if EXCELL has located the target file)
Windows Task Manger Processes tab shows that EXCEL memory increases to hold
the file
Windows Task Manger Applications tab does NOT show the called XLS file
PCs are running WinXP Pro, Office 2003, both with latest updates as of
08/02/2006

Anyone got any ideas.

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
exceluserforeman

Hello,
I am not sure as to why you want to access the Excel file.

maybe a workbook.open event may do the trick ....

http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway

"Jinx1966" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jinx1966

Parts of the business processes in the XLS file refer to other documents such
as working practices, guidlines, rotas etc. Some of these other docs are also
XLS and are maintained as seperate files by seperate depts.

Thanks for the macro suggestion, but this means I have to link the macro to
several locations in the file, and the hyperlink solution USED to work.