Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JCC

Default Can I access the previous version of a saved file?

I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an
incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before I
"saved as" over it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

I'm using Excel 10 (XP)......WinXP.......

If I have an existing file and open it, make some changes, then do a SAVE AS
and give it a different name, the newly "saved as" file is a completely
*NEW* file and the original is still in tact with the previous file name.

Try looking for the previous file name.

Biff

"JCC" wrote in message
I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an
incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before I
"saved as" over it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jerry W. Lewis

Not unless you have a backup copy. Excel does not keep previous versions.

Jerry

JCC wrote:

I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an
incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before I
"saved as" over it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Mine does!

And they're not backup files: *.xlk

Biff

JCC wrote:

I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an
incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before I
"saved as" over it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JCC

Biff,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, what I somehow managed to do was to
"save as" over an existing file name. It is the prior version of this "saved
as" file that I would love to find -- the one that existed before I "saved
as" into that same file name. I suspect that Jerry Lewis may be right on
this, though I wish he wasn't!

JCC

JCC wrote:

I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an
incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before I
"saved as" over it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Oh, I see!

You "saved as" the same file name. Yeah, I you're sol unless you created
backups.

Biff

JCC wrote:

I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an
incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before
"saved as" over it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

JCC

If you had file A open and "Saved as" file B, file A is not over-written.

It will still be on your computer in its original form. Do a search for it.

Biff

*.xlk files are backup files.

These are created when you set it up in FileSave AsToolsGeneral
OptionsSave Options "Always create a backup".

This backup is created when you save the file, not when you "Save as" another
name.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

JCC wrote:

I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an
incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before I
"saved as" over it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Biff

*.xlk files are backup files.

These are created when you set it up in FileSave AsToolsGeneral
OptionsSave Options "Always create a backup".

This backup is created when you save the file, not when you "Save as"
another
name.

Yes, I know. That's what I meant in my reply to Jerry. The original file is
not a *.xlk backup.

JCC wrote:

I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an
incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before
"saved as" over it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jerry W. Lewis

Are you saying that you have found a way to configure Excel to automatically
create backup files for all edited files? If so, how have you accomplished
this, and in what version of Excel?

Excel is documented to create backups for a specific file if you
specifically ask Excel to do it
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141451
also Help for "Save a backup copy of a workbook"
but my experience with this feature in Excel 2000 and Excel 2003 is that it
only applies to the specific workbook that you requested creation of backups
for.

Jerry

"Biff" wrote:

Mine does!

And they're not backup files: *.xlk

Biff

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote in message
Not unless you have a backup copy. Excel does not keep previous versions.

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

I think what Biff meant and what it sounded as when the OP originally posted
is that he had the file open and did a filesave as and used another name,
that way the original file (that was open when the save was done)will still
be there. However it seems that the OP saved an excel file with another name
and that other file was overwritten, thus it's not possible to salvage that
other file

Peo Sjoblom