Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Where is Personal.xls workbook?

I want to transfer my personal.xls workbook to another computer but I can't
find it anywhere on my pc. I thought it was located in the XLSTART folder.
I changed my folder options to view hidden files or folders and it still
isn't showing up in that folder. I have 3 macro's recorded in it, so it has
to show up somewhere.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, be careful.

If that other pc already has a personal.xls workbook, then only one of them can
be open in excel at the same time. (If you're the user on both PCs, then you'll
know what to do--but you could be destroying someone's workbook if you do this.)

Second, when I'm not sure, I'll let excel tell me.

Open Excel
Personal.xls should open, right?
hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window

type this and hit enter:
?workbooks("Personal.xls").fullname
or
?workbooks("Personal.xls").Path

Make a note of that location and then off to the other pc.

I'd let that pc tell me where to put personal.xls, too. (Assuming that there
isn't already one there!)

Open excel
hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window

type this and hit enter:
?application.startuppath

for me (xl2003, winXP Home), I get:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

--

Dave Peterson