Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using a 'Select' (Data Validation) List?

Howdy! I have a spreadsheet with a few hundred entries in it on sheet
1. One of the columns in the sheet is State, and an adjacent column is
County. I am only working with 3 or 4 states, but combined they have a
lot of counties! Since the Data Validation list option only holds so
many entries, I have had to add just the counties most used.

What I would like to do, is when a certain state is selected in column
'A' from a list, the list for column 'B' will show Only counties from
that state. Now I know the basics of how to do this - using an if
statement to check to see what column 'A' is, and to then pull the list
of counties from another sheet (sheet 3 for me), but I do not know how
to put it all together code wise. Any help would be very much
appreciated!

Thanks!
~Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

I believe this website will get you on the right track:

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

" wrote:

Howdy! I have a spreadsheet with a few hundred entries in it on sheet
1. One of the columns in the sheet is State, and an adjacent column is
County. I am only working with 3 or 4 states, but combined they have a
lot of counties! Since the Data Validation list option only holds so
many entries, I have had to add just the counties most used.

What I would like to do, is when a certain state is selected in column
'A' from a list, the list for column 'B' will show Only counties from
that state. Now I know the basics of how to do this - using an if
statement to check to see what column 'A' is, and to then pull the list
of counties from another sheet (sheet 3 for me), but I do not know how
to put it all together code wise. Any help would be very much
appreciated!

Thanks!
~Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the reply Ron! It does help, but it appears that it will not
work across sheets (ie: all my data will have to be on the same sheet -
which I don't want). Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
~Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

All of which data would have to be on one sheet?
Which part isn't working?
Does the dependent list display the wrong data? No data?
Are you using Dynamic Ranges?

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

" wrote:

Thanks for the reply Ron! It does help, but it appears that it will not
work across sheets (ie: all my data will have to be on the same sheet -
which I don't want). Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
~Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Dan

You can use Lists from other sheets if you name the Lists.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On 21 Nov 2005 11:57:26 -0800, wrote:

Thanks for the reply Ron! It does help, but it appears that it will not
work across sheets (ie: all my data will have to be on the same sheet -
which I don't want). Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
~Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the follow-up Ron, and sorry about my delay.

My data for the both the main list and the dependent list are on the
same sheet, though the lists are being used on another sheet in the
same workbook. My trouble is is creating the dependent data validation
using the INDIRECT function. I am using: =INDIRECT(Data!A2) for which
I receive the following error: "You may not use references to other
worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation criteria." This is where I
am currently stuck. I really do not want to have the data for the list
on the same sheet that I am working on. Any help?

Thanks,
~Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My list are named, however my trouble is creating a dependent data
validation list using the INDIRECT function. I receive the error: "You