Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default count cells that begin with specific text

in excel how do I count cells that begin with specific text. Ex: in a
column with 100 entries, I want to count the number of cells that have the
letters "app" from the word approved as the first three characters in the cell
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A100)="app"))

"mmer at steelcase" wrote:

in excel how do I count cells that begin with specific text. Ex: in a
column with 100 entries, I want to count the number of cells that have the
letters "app" from the word approved as the first three characters in the cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=COUNTIF(A:A,"app*")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Sloth" wrote in message
=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A100)="app"))

"mmer at steelcase" wrote:

in excel how do I count cells that begin with specific text. Ex: in a
column with 100 entries, I want to count the number of cells that have

the
letters "app" from the word approved as the first three characters in

the cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

this didn't work for me. do the 2 dashes in front of LEFT mean something

"Sloth" wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A100)="app"))

"mmer at steelcase" wrote:

in excel how do I count cells that begin with specific text. Ex: in a
column with 100 entries, I want to count the number of cells that have the
letters "app" from the word approved as the first three characters in the cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

this works since I am looking for the beginning of the text. I thought I
would need to do something with LEFT function. this solution is simpler.
thank you

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(A:A,"app*")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Sloth" wrote in message
=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A100)="app"))

"mmer at steelcase" wrote:

in excel how do I count cells that begin with specific text. Ex: in a
column with 100 entries, I want to count the number of cells that have

the
letters "app" from the word approved as the first three characters in

the cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"mmer at steelcase" wrote in
message ...
this didn't work for me. do the 2 dashes in front of LEFT mean something

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html for a detailed
explanation.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

At first glance, I thought that would work. However, I noticed in your reply
that the ,3 was left out of the left function. If you don't specify the
number of characters to return, left defaults to 1 (if I am not mistaken.)

The -- coerces logical values (true or false) to numbers. As true evaluates
to 1 (and false to 0) -true = -1 (and -false = -0, which of course is 0.)
Applying the negative again changes the -1 to positive 1 and the -0 to 0.

So, although I didn't test it, I would guess if you put ,3 after the 100 in
the formula, it may return the correct result.

BTW, I just checked with false in a cell, D2, and -D2 returned 0 (not -0)
fwiw.

--
Kevin Vaughn

"mmer at steelcase" wrote:

this didn't work for me. do the 2 dashes in front of LEFT mean something

"Sloth" wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A100)="app"))

"mmer at steelcase" wrote:

in excel how do I count cells that begin with specific text. Ex: in a
column with 100 entries, I want to count the number of cells that have the
letters "app" from the word approved as the first three characters in the cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yeah, I should have gone back and rephrased the part where I was talking
about that. My bad.
--
Kevin Vaughn

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Kevin Vaughn" wrote in message
BTW, I just checked with false in a cell, D2, and -D2 returned 0 (not -0)
fwiw.

That is because 0 is neither negative nor positive, so you cannot have -0.
Negative and positive is defined in relation to 0.