John

Default Wildcard Character

Is there a wildcard character in Excel?

Specifically, I'm looking to search for all subdivisions from a major
division. My naming scheme is like this:

AppDev.DBA
AppDev.Web
Communications.Data
Communications.Radio

How can I just say AppDev.* or Communications.* so I can get a full
count??? (PS there is no standard length to any of these names)

Thanks

Paulw2k

From XL2002 Help files
Wildcard characters
The following wildcard characters can be used as comparison criteria for
filters, and when searching and replacing content.

Use To find
? (question mark) Any single character
For example, sm?th finds "smith" and "smyth"
* (asterisk) Any number of characters
For example, *east finds "Northeast" and "Southeast"
~ (tilde) followed by ?, *, or ~ A question mark, asterisk, or tilde
For example, fy91~? finds "fy91?"

Paul

"John" <john(dot)cole(at)co(dot)riverside(dot)ca(dot)us wrote in message
Is there a wildcard character in Excel?

Specifically, I'm looking to search for all subdivisions from a major
division. My naming scheme is like this:

AppDev.DBA
AppDev.Web
Communications.Data
Communications.Radio

How can I just say AppDev.* or Communications.* so I can get a full
count??? (PS there is no standard length to any of these names)

Thanks

Frank Kabel

Hi
do you mean
=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"AppDev.*")

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"John" <john(dot)cole(at)co(dot)riverside(dot)ca(dot)us schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
Is there a wildcard character in Excel?

Specifically, I'm looking to search for all subdivisions from a major
division. My naming scheme is like this:

AppDev.DBA
AppDev.Web
Communications.Data
Communications.Radio

How can I just say AppDev.* or Communications.* so I can get a

full
count??? (PS there is no standard length to any of these names)

Thanks

John

Similar: =SUMPRODUCT(('Project Portfolio'!S3:S214="Proposed")*('Project
Portfolio'!T3:T214="AppDev"))

Where it shows AppDev, I want to to basically be AppDev.* but it doesn't
seem to work. Any ideas?

"Frank Kabel" wrote in message
Hi
do you mean
=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"AppDev.*")

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"John" <john(dot)cole(at)co(dot)riverside(dot)ca(dot)us schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
Is there a wildcard character in Excel?

Specifically, I'm looking to search for all subdivisions from a major
division. My naming scheme is like this:

AppDev.DBA
AppDev.Web
Communications.Data
Communications.Radio

How can I just say AppDev.* or Communications.* so I can get a

full
count??? (PS there is no standard length to any of these names)

Thanks

Frank Kabel

Hi
try:
=SUMPRODUCT(('Project
Portfolio'!S3:S214="Proposed")*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("A ppDev",'Project
Portfolio'!T3:T214))))

[...]

John

I got a #Ref error with that.

Basically I'm trying to count the number of projects per division per phase.
But my list of projects is divided into division/subdivision and phase.

Example data in the cells would be:

Project Phase Division

Project1 Proposed AppDev
Project2 Initiation AppDev.DBA
Project3 Execution Communications.Radio
Project4 Proposed Communications.Radio

So what I want is a count of AppDev projects by phase and comm projects by
phase. But just putting communications doesn't give me all comm projects.
So I need basically a wildcard character (or something that will roll all
comm.* projects up.
Thanks

[...]

Frank Kabel

Hi
a #REF error indicates that there's something wrong with the sheet
name. As I copy it from your original formula maybe a linebreak, etc.