Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Divide within the same cell

Is it possible to divide the same number you calculated within the same cell?
here is an example...

=(c19*c1)+(d19*d1)+(e19*e1) is the current formula but what I need to do is
divide this answer with another number within a different cell.

So with that being sad I thought =(c19*c1)+(d19+d1)+(e19*e1)/f1 would work
but it does not it only shows me the sum of the three cell calculations.

F1 has the number in which I need to divide this total by.

Thank you ahead of time for your help..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try:
=((c19*c1)+(d19*d1)+(e19*e1))/f1

There's actually a function in excel that is made for this kind of thing.

=SUMPRODUCT(C1:E1,C19:E19)/F1

It multiplies each "element" of the first range (C1, D1, E1) and multiplies it
by the corresponding "element" of the second range (C19, D19, E19). Then adds
those 3 products together. (Sum of the products).

And the F1 is there because you wanted to divide by that value.

ps. Your suggested formula:
=(c19*c1)+(d19*d1)+(e19*e1)/f1
is the same as:
=(c19*c1)
+(d19*d1)
+(e19*e1)/f1

Only that e19*e1 was divided by f1--you have to be careful with your
parentheses.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
put your what you want to devide in parenthesis ie
=((C19*C1)+(D19*D1)+(E19*E1))/F1
in this way the (C19*C1)+(D19*D1)+(E19*E1) portion of your formula will be
calculated first then treated as a single number.

regards
FSt1