Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to stop "Locked for Editing" in Excel?

After opening my spreadsheet and performing work, I save my work and close my
spreadsheet. But, when I try to reopen the spreadsheet, I get the message,
"Locked for editing". The only way I can reopen the spreadsheet is to reboot
my computer. I've tried uninstalling my Office 2003 and re-installing the
program, but the problem comes back with the re-install. Any help will be
much appreciated. Thanks,
--
Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like you have a hidden instance of excel still running.

I'd close all the visible instances of excel.
Then hit alt-ctrl-delete to open the task manager
Then look on the Processes tab to see if there are any excel.exe's still
running.

You could kill them (and lose any changes that you have made to unsaved
workbooks in that instance).

Or you could use a VBScript that could unhide those hidden instances and close
them nicely.

If you want to try the VB script technique, start notepad and copy this code
into that notepad window:

dim myXL
On Error Resume Next
Set myXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")
If Err.Number = 429 Then
msgbox "Excel is not running"
else
myxl.visible = true
end If
On Error GoTo 0
Set myxl = nothing

Then save this file onto your desktop as UnhideExcel.VBS (not *.txt).

Close all the visible instances of excel and double click this script file on
your desktop.

If you see a newly visible instance of excel, then close it and double click on
the vbs file again (until you get the "excel is not running" message.

========
Any chance you have a macro (in MSWord, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, or even
script) that opens excel with its windows hidden.

Jim Murray wrote:

After opening my spreadsheet and performing work, I save my work and close my
spreadsheet. But, when I try to reopen the spreadsheet, I get the message,
"Locked for editing". The only way I can reopen the spreadsheet is to reboot
my computer. I've tried uninstalling my Office 2003 and re-installing the
program, but the problem comes back with the re-install. Any help will be
much appreciated. Thanks,
--
Jim

--