Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I copy a table from Word into one cell in Excel without losing data? (Office 97)

I would like to copy a small table from Word into one cell in an Excel
worksheet. The first column of the table is a list of numbers. I tried
converting the table into text with manual line breaks and tab stops to
divide columns and rows, but that didn't solve my problem.

Excel pastes the data into several rows. When I try to merge them, I
get a warning that the selection contains multiple data values, and
merging into one cell keeps the upper-left most data only.

What I tried that didn't work:
* Formatting the Excel cells as text before pasting the data.
* The various options for "Paste Special." The closest I got was
inserting the table as a Document Object, which could be a workaround,
I guess.
What I am saving for when all else fails:
* The obvious solution of copying row by row into one Excel cell.

The data in the table is information about my dad's medications. I
would like to have reference charts of how to identify the strength of
each tablet by its color and markings. I got the info from the
manufacturers' websites and entered it into tables in Word, which I
would like to copy into a more comprehensive file I am creating in
Excel. The first column of each table is the strength of the tablet,
entered as 1 mg., 2 mg., etc. The subsequent columns describe the
shape, color, and markings. There are 3 tables, each with about 4-5
rows.

Is there a way to copy each one - whether as a table or as text - into
a single Excel cell without losing data?

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Default Can I copy a table from Word into one cell in Excel without losing

If you want to paste an entire Word table into a single Excel Cell, first
select the table in Word and copy it. Then in Excel, while holding down the
shift key, pull-down:

Edit Paste Picture

You will now have a graphic on the worksheet. You can move and re-size to
fit into a single cell,
--
Gary''s Student

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Thanks for the reply! (Was: Can I copy a table from Word into one cell...)

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did in fact figure that out, but
I wondered whether there was a way to insert the table into one cell as
text and not as a graphic. The graphic format does serve my purpose,
though, so I will leave it at that and continue learning other Excel
functions.

Thanks again!

"