Tony

Default How to link website data to Excel cells

I want to automatically import wesbite data in Excel cells, to perform
calculations. For example, I could have a portfolio in Excel that does
complex calculations. The portfolio needs to update stock prices every day
(and other numerical information). Don't want to manually cut, format and
paste every day for dozens of stocks and other values. Want to link up the
stock price in Yahoo (or from Fidelity Investments) to the cell
automatically, such that every day I can open Excel and ask it to refresh all
the prices at once.

Is this possible? Thanks for your help.

Tony from Houston
R.VENKATARAMAN

in excel spreadsheetuse ---data(menubar)-getexternaldata-newwebquery.
you can get all the tables or particualr table in which you must inow the
number of that table in the webpage.

once the query is created subsequetly you have to only refresh
see help <get external data

Tony wrote in message
I want to automatically import wesbite data in Excel cells, to perform
calculations. For example, I could have a portfolio in Excel that does
complex calculations. The portfolio needs to update stock prices every

day
(and other numerical information). Don't want to manually cut, format and
paste every day for dozens of stocks and other values. Want to link up

the
stock price in Yahoo (or from Fidelity Investments) to the cell
automatically, such that every day I can open Excel and ask it to refresh

all
the prices at once.

Is this possible? Thanks for your help.

Tony from Houston

Tony

Thank You R.VENKATARAMAN.

Follow up question. For "New Web Query" command, how do I know the number
or name of the table on the website? I did some trial and error and finally
found the number of the desired table, like 64, clearly this is time
consuming because the number could be in the dozens or even hundreds.

Another question. What if I only want certain values from the table and not
the entire table with text and all? How do I link up Excel to only the
values that I want?

Thanks Again

"Tony" wrote:

I want to automatically import wesbite data in Excel cells, to perform
calculations. For example, I could have a portfolio in Excel that does
complex calculations. The portfolio needs to update stock prices every day
(and other numerical information). Don't want to manually cut, format and
paste every day for dozens of stocks and other values. Want to link up the
stock price in Yahoo (or from Fidelity Investments) to the cell
automatically, such that every day I can open Excel and ask it to refresh all
the prices at once.

Is this possible? Thanks for your help.

Tony from Houston

JVLin

Hi Tony,

if you turn on the macro recorder and than insert or edit the web query, you
will record this kind of code:

With Selection.QueryTable
.Connection = _

"URL;http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/results/statemnt.asp?lstStatement=Balance&Symbol=" & stID & "&stmtView=Ann"
.WebSelectionType = xlSpecifiedTables
.WebFormatting = xlWebFormattingNone
.WebTables = "10"
.WebPreFormattedTextToColumns = True
.WebConsecutiveDelimitersAsOne = True
.WebSingleBlockTextImport = False
.WebDisableDateRecognition = False
.WebDisableRedirections = False
.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
End With

The number you are looking for under WebTables.

"Tony" wrote:

I want to automatically import wesbite data in Excel cells, to perform
calculations. For example, I could have a portfolio in Excel that does
complex calculations. The portfolio needs to update stock prices every day
(and other numerical information). Don't want to manually cut, format and
paste every day for dozens of stocks and other values. Want to link up the
stock price in Yahoo (or from Fidelity Investments) to the cell
automatically, such that every day I can open Excel and ask it to refresh all
the prices at once.

Is this possible? Thanks for your help.

Tony from Houston

JVLin

Re certain numbers from a table:

I simply link the destination cell in my output table:

e.g. the query table might fill range c1:g12 and the item I want is in d5. I
want this to appear in my output table A1:b5 in cell b3. In cell B3 I write
'= D5'

Presto!

j.