Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How can I click on a cell to go to another cell?

How can I click on a cell to go to another cell in my Excel
spreadsheet? Perhaps this is something easy that I just
aren't seeing.

There are many named cells in the spread sheet.

I want to have a table of all the names, which each name next to
a cell that I can click on, with the result being that I go to
the named cell (In other words, the named cell becomes the active cell
after I click on the "GOTO" cell.)

Currently I do (in Excel 2003}
Edit Go To ... (or ctrl+G)
then scroll down to the name I want and click "OK",
but I now have too many cells for the list to be easy
to scroll through and I can't get the list in the
order that I want unless I prefix each name with something
to cause them to appear in that order:
NA0010JoesAccount
NA0020BobsAccount
NA0040CousinBillsAccount
{The trailing "0" in the prefix is so that I can insert
other labels later.}

Typing the label I want into the "Go To" popup doesn't
work for me since it would require too much typing and
I need to see all the possibilities in order to decide
which is the one that I want or if I want to define a new
entry.

Once I had a way to be able to click on a cell to cause
the indicated name to be the active cell, I would put
the table in a portion of the display the I don't
let scroll.

Setting up such a table with the names in it
still requires me to type the name that I want in the "Go To"
popup since, for Excel 2003, at least, you cannot paste into the
"Reference:" field in the "Go To" popup.

I'd like to have a method that works
in Excel 2003 and all later versions, but if the
method works even on just the latest version I still can use it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi
Can you not just apply Autofilter to your header row?
Assuming you do have a header row with Name, Account, Detail etc., just highlight the header row and choose Data Filter Autofilter

Now you will have drop down arrows at the top of each column that you can use to select what you want.

If you want something more sophisticated and can accept some VBA cod in your workbook, then take a look at a tutorial and example file I posted here
http://www.contextures.com/excelfilesRoger.html

Scroll down to the Filters section and download the sample workbook.

Of course in the more modern versions of Excel, there are Tables, which automatically have filtering enabled, and as well as clicking to de-select All and then clicking the item of interest, you can also type any text in the first part of the dialogue, and it will immediately reduce the list to those items containing the text you have typed.