victurbo

Default Interpolation using GROWTH function?

Background: I'm a instrument technician trying to use Excel to scale a
nonlinear device which streams a measurement (ultimately, force in
pounds) to a .CSV file. The Data is formatted as a raw, unscaled number
in one column and a adjacent timestamp in another column.

If the sensor was linear I could simply multiply that raw number by the
appropriate scaling factor to get pounds but this particular sensor is
not.

If I take sample readings with known standard weights at regular
intervals alongs the device's full scale and plot Pounds (x) and the
device output (Y) can I use the GROWTH function to create a formula
which will then automatically condition/scale/interpolate the devices
output in my spreadsheet chart when I'm using it out in the field?

I know GROWTH can plot points in the future but can it determine points
in between? Is this the right function for this job or would something
else be more appropriate?

--
victurbo
victurbo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27162

Bernard Liengme

I am a scientist and this is what I would do:
Make a plot in Excel of Known Pounds (x-axis) against Measured Values
(y-axis)
Add a polynomial trendline (up to 4 powers) to find a good fit, note which
power is used
Use LINEST with that power to get these values into cells (see my website)
Use the LINEST values to compute the Actual Pounds
Contact me a personal email if more details needed
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"victurbo" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Tushar Mehta

Also, check my response to the same request at the mrexcel.com web
site.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...

Background: I'm a instrument technician trying to use Excel to scale a
nonlinear device which streams a measurement (ultimately, force in

{snip}
MrShorty

Short answer: yes, GROWTH can handle interpolation as well as
extrapolation. GROWTH uses an exponential model [y=A*exp(Bx)] to
correlate the data. If this type of model will represent your data
well, then GROWTH should work fine.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181

linear interpolation function in excel tskoglund Excel Worksheet Functions 4 September 10th 05 03:31 AM
Excel option to store trendline's coefficients in cells for use Miguel Saldana Charts and Charting in Excel 9 June 20th 05 08:45 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM