Howard

Default changing thwe width of data labels?

I have a horizontal bar chart with labels on each bar. They are positioned
in the centre of the bar. The labels are quite long e.g. 'Marks for the
analysis stage of the project', but would easily fit inside a bar. The
trouble is, Excel insists on wrapping the text into a smaller rectangle so
some labels are on two or even three lines and overlap the top and bottom of
the bar.

Can I change the width of the data label box so that the text will fit on
one line?

Howard

Jon Peltier

Howard -

Unfortunately, Excel doesn't allow you to change the size of a data
label (or a chart title or axis title). They are not true text boxes in
this regard.

You can use regular text boxes in place of data labels. They don't
positions themselves automatically, so you have some work to do.

To add a text box, select the chart, type the label you want, and press
Enter. A textbox appears in the middle of the chart, ready to be
formatted and positioned.

To add a text box that's linked to a worksheet cell, select the chart,
type the equals key, then select the cell with the mouse. This textbox
will update if the cell changes.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP