Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Wibs

Default How to enter data then move automatically to new cell?

Hi,

I am entering lots of family history data into a spreadsheet. At the
simplest I have columns (in cells A1 B1 C1) the headings, Surname,
Forename, Year. Right now, I enter in cells A2 B2 and C2 say: Smith
<Tab John <Tab 1555 <Enter, move mouse to the A column in the next
row down). What I want to happen is when I have entered the last data
in a row and pressed <Enter I move automatically to the A-column in
the next row down.

Is this possible?

Regards and a Merry Christmas to all

Wibs

--
Wibs
Wibs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28922

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Have you considered a Data Form?

Try this:
A1: Surname
B1: Forename
C1: Year

Select A1:C1
DataForm
(Excel will give a warning...ignore it and click OK)

A data form will open.
[Tab] advances through fields
Pressing [Enter] goes to the next record

Something you can work with?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Wibs" wrote:

Hi,

I am entering lots of family history data into a spreadsheet. At the
simplest I have columns (in cells A1 B1 C1) the headings, Surname,
Forename, Year. Right now, I enter in cells A2 B2 and C2 say: Smith
<Tab John <Tab 1555 <Enter, move mouse to the A column in the next
row down). What I want to happen is when I have entered the last data
in a row and pressed <Enter I move automatically to the A-column in
the next row down.

Is this possible?

Regards and a Merry Christmas to all

Wibs

--
Wibs
Wibs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28922
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494464

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

If you have default excel settings and are using tab to go to the next cell,
that is how it is supposed to work
look under toolsoptionsedit and make sure move selection after enter is
checked and it's set to down, then if you use the tab key it should go to
the first column one row below when pressing enter

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Wibs" wrote in message

I am entering lots of family history data into a spreadsheet. At the
simplest I have columns (in cells A1 B1 C1) the headings, Surname,
Forename, Year. Right now, I enter in cells A2 B2 and C2 say: Smith
<Tab John <Tab 1555 <Enter, move mouse to the A column in the next
row down). What I want to happen is when I have entered the last data
in a row and pressed <Enter I move automatically to the A-column in
the next row down.

Is this possible?

Regards and a Merry Christmas to all

Wibs

--
Wibs
Wibs's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494464

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMay

No code required;
Just highlight A2:C100
and enter your data and TAB 100% of time (No use of Enter key.
HTH

"Wibs" wrote in message

I am entering lots of family history data into a spreadsheet. At the
simplest I have columns (in cells A1 B1 C1) the headings, Surname,
Forename, Year. Right now, I enter in cells A2 B2 and C2 say: Smith
<Tab John <Tab 1555 <Enter, move mouse to the A column in the next
row down). What I want to happen is when I have entered the last data
in a row and pressed <Enter I move automatically to the A-column in
the next row down.

Is this possible?

Regards and a Merry Christmas to all

Wibs

--
Wibs
Wibs's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494464

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Wibs

Many thanks for the suggestion. Could you please explain what you mean
by 'highlight'. You are not talking of 'selecting' A2:C100 are you?

Regards

WibsJMay Wrote:
[...]

View this thread:

Wibs
Wibs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28922
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494464

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMay

Yes, selecting is alternative lingo.
Left Click and hold down on A2, and drag to C100 and
release mouse button.

WibsJMay Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Wibs

My goodness.

4 different methods proposed. All four work!!

What a forum!

Thanks to all

Wibs