Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I add up letters or symbols in excel

I have excel 2003 and I want to be able to create a column with y's and n's
and count up the number of y's and n's

I also want to be able to do this with the letters b w a h o in order to
calculate the number of people from different races.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:44:05 -0800, Terry
wrote:

I have excel 2003 and I want to be able to create a column with y's and n's
and count up the number of y's and n's

I also want to be able to do this with the letters b w a h o in order to
calculate the number of people from different races.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated

Look at HELP for the COUNTIF function
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This formula returns the count of cells with a value of "Y"
=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"Y")

Does that help?
Regards,
Ron