Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Word/Excel Charts x axis to months

Hi,
I'm trying to format a bar chart which has promotions on the y axis and i
would like the x axis to be months of the year NOV, DEC, JAN 08, FEB 08 and
so forth instead of numbers 0-7 but I dont know how to change this? The chart
has bars across according to which month(s) the promotion will be happening
in the next financial year. The chart is currently in word in the document
and connected to data on excel. I'm using microsoft office 2007. anyone help
plz?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Do you have the data set out like this:
NOV 22
DEC 34
JAN 12
Now select all the data and make the chart.
It sounds like you just have a column of numbers (promotions)
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"alison" wrote in message
I'm trying to format a bar chart which has promotions on the y axis and i
would like the x axis to be months of the year NOV, DEC, JAN 08, FEB 08
and
so forth instead of numbers 0-7 but I dont know how to change this? The
chart
has bars across according to which month(s) the promotion will be
happening
in the next financial year. The chart is currently in word in the document
and connected to data on excel. I'm using microsoft office 2007. anyone
help
plz?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi, i havent got data like that yet, i've only got a series of promotions and
months that i want to do it in:

Loyalty club program: Feb 2008
Beauty packages: Dec 07-Jan 08
Catalogue: Dec 07-Jun08
etc..etc...

i've seen a bar chart done in another report and i want to do something like
it..where bars go horizontally..according to when the promotion is
happening...
right now i've got the promos on the y axis and on the xaxis 0-7 because the
data was from a sample template of microsoft word 07, except that i've
deleted the numerical data from the excel spreadsheet that comes with it...so
now my chart has the two axis and the grid but no bars going across..the
chart is empty

"alison" wrote in message
I'm trying to format a bar chart which has promotions on the y axis and i
would like the x axis to be months of the year NOV, DEC, JAN 08, FEB 08
and
so forth instead of numbers 0-7 but I dont know how to change this? The
chart
has bars across according to which month(s) the promotion will be
happening
in the next financial year. The chart is currently in word in the document
and connected to data on excel. I'm using microsoft office 2007. anyone
help
plz?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You need to show the data in terms of a start date in one cell, and either
an end date or a duration in another, so you can make a floating bar chart.
This type of chart is called Gantt chart, and I wrote a tutorial about
these in Excel:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"alison" wrote in message
I'm trying to format a bar chart which has promotions on the y axis and
would like the x axis to be months of the year NOV, DEC, JAN 08, FEB 08
and
so forth instead of numbers 0-7 but I dont know how to change this? The
chart
has bars across according to which month(s) the promotion will be
happening
in the next financial year. The chart is currently in word in the
document
and connected to data on excel. I'm using microsoft office 2007. anyone
help
plz?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jon,
thanks for the site link..it helped a lot, my chart is pretty much
complete..the only probs i still hav are that for one of the bars for a
campaign from april 08 to may 08 instead of the horizontal coloured bar
filling exactly from the april vertical grid line to the may one, it is
filling just before the april grid line and ending at may, so it looks like
the promotion starts before april (i.e. mid march) or it looks like the bar
is off centre. Can u help?