George A. Yorks

Default creating a formul

Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on sheet 1 than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

Earl Kiosterud

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

James

You will need to use the vlookup formula. Have a look at
this in the help menu. It's quite simple, and compares to
lists to return a value.

=vlookup(a1:a10,B1:c10,2,false)

In this case, it looks up the values in cells a1 to a10
and compares them to the values in cells b1 to b10 and
returns the second value to thr right of these cells;
that is, the values in column c.

Hope that helps.

Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar

amounts colums d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2

found on sheet 1 than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George
.

George A. Yorks

Thank you for all the help. I am experiencing one little problem. I write
the formula into cell E1 and attempt to copy down to the last cell using the
fill handle. I seems as though every second cell comes up with #N/A. Any
ideas what is causing this.

Again thank you for all the help

"James" wrote:

[...]

Myrna Larson

This is an array formula (since the 1st argument to VLOOKUP is not a single
cell, but 10 cells). I would also change the references to absolute, i.e.

=VLOOKUP($A$1:$A$10,$B$1:$C$10,2,0)

Then, to use this, select the 10 cells, E1:E10, and enter the above formula in
E1, and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter it as an array formula into all 10
cells.

Note that you don't enter it in the top and copy it down. That would just keep
returning the 1st result rather than all 10.

"James" wrote:

[...]

Ragdyer

I don't understand the advantage to using an array formula in this
particular case.

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between:

=VLOOKUP(A1,$B$1:$C$10,2,0)
(Regular <Enter - drag down to copy)
AND
=VLOOKUP($A$1:$A$10,$B$1:$C$10,2,0)
Array entered, <C,S,E, where you have to first pre-select the rows, and
enter the formula in the top focus cell?

Am I missing something?

RD

"James" wrote:

[...]

Myrna Larson

I'm not sure there is any advantage. My reply was targeted at the formula he
says he found in Help, in which the first argument was not a single cell, but
A1:A10. I haven't looked at it myself. Maybe he didn't understand the example
in Help and created the formula incorrectly.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:12:51 -0800, "Ragdyer" wrote:

I don't understand the advantage to using an array formula in this
particular case.

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between:

=VLOOKUP(A1,$B$1:$C$10,2,0)
(Regular <Enter - drag down to copy)
AND
=VLOOKUP($A$1:$A$10,$B$1:$C$10,2,0)
Array entered, <C,S,E, where you have to first pre-select the rows, and
enter the formula in the top focus cell?

Am I missing something?

George A. Yorks

Thanks for the help. One further question.
In the formul In sheet 2 $A$1:$b$10makes reference to two adjacent columns.
If there is a column between so there is data in a and c and none in b the
result return err,the formula in this cell referes to cells that are
currently emply. How to get around this. ie" if sheet two has data in column
a and column d.

thanks

George Yorks

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4 make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--
HTH,

RD

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums

d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

I've used the following formula =vlookup(b4,sheet3!$c$1:$m$31,11,0) The
correct data is transfered to the first cell in the column all other cells
receive #N/A a value is not available to the formula or function. There is
however data to be transfered.Any help appreciated

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

Myrna Larson

Well, Excel isn't seeing a match. For one of the formulas that you expect to
return a value, what is in column B, and what is the matching data in column C
or your table on Sheet3? Could the problem be that you have numbers in one
place and text that looks like a number (but is stored as text) in the other?
If so, they won't match, e.g. 1 doesn't match "1"

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums

d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

Ihave tried to copy data from USA Today report. When I past to excel
worksheet all cells are obliterated. Does this account for the data not
being recognized. If so is there anything that can be done to make this data
useable??

Thanks for all the help and information

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums

d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

Earl Kiosterud

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in. Did I
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4 make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--
HTH,

RD

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums

d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

I keep saying thanks, your help is outstanding. I would like to ask two
additional questions. ie: When I enter my formula into the cells of column A
in a number of cells it returns a value in a few it returns#N/A. There is
no data in those cases but with the #n?A when I try to add the columns will
not do so as it cant enter a non digit. I'm using 0 for the last number in
my formula. How best to get around this.

Also I've copied a table from USA internet. In pasting to worksheet all the
cells are obliterated and nothing is recognized by excel. The data is
however recognized in (pardon me) lotus. Is there anyway of having my
vlookup formula search 123 in place of a sheet in excel. =vlookup(a1,
sheet2!$A$1:$j$31, 10,0). Hope these questions make sense to someone

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in. Did I
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4 make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--
HTH,

RD

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

RagDyer

First question:

Replace error message with a null ( "" ), which can then be added:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,'Sheet2'!$A$1:$A$10,0)),"",VLOOK UP(A1,
'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)
--

HTH,

RD

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in. Did

say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4 make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--
HTH,

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts

colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

I tried using the formula below<from =IF to 4,0) and got message too many
arguments. Bottom line it does not change the #N/A to ) which will allow the
column to be added. Any other thoughts.

Thanks much

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in. Did

say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4 make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts

colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

Ragdyer

I can see that I left out a parenthesis.
I tested this against your scenario in your original post, and this *does*
work:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$10,0)),"",VLOOKUP (A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$D$10,4,0)
)
--
HTH,

RD

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.

Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula

structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4

make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts

colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found

on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

Thank you,
Your corrected formula works well with one lasting problem. If I remove
the data that was used for the search all the results of the search are wiped
out. I tried to remove the data to use new data for new search. Can
anything be done to correct this situation???

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.

Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula

structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4

make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts
colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found

on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

I understand that excel is not seeing a match. But if I do the following the
file is recognized. I copy the file(containing a column of names and column
of numbers) and past to excel.I then copy from excel to lotus 123 and then
from lotus 123 back to excel. Is there any reason for this and is there any
other, less cumbersome, proceedure???

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums

d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

Thanks for the help. I am confronted with a new scenario which I'll present
for help.

One worksheet titled geo I have a list of names b4 thru b18 and data in
k4thru k18. I want to transfere the data to worksheet titled miriam after
searching for the exact names. The names of the second worksheet are column
ax3 thru ax89. Hope this makes sense to you.

George

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in. Did

say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4 make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts

colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

RagDyeR

Try this in Ay3 of "Miriam":

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(AX3,Geo!$B$4:$B$18,0)),"Not
Found",INDEX(Geo!$K$4:$K$18,MATCH(AX3,Geo!$B$4:$B$ 18,0)))

You can then *double click* on the "fill handle" in the lower right corner
of AY3, which will *automatically* copy the formula in AY3 down Column AY,
as far as there is data in Column AX.
--

HTH,

RD

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.

Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula

structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4

make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts

colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

I tried this formula and get a "not found" also this is how the formula gets
entered. Don't know why. It was entered as below.
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(AX3,[GEO.xls]Sheet2!$B$4:$B$18,0)),"not
found",INDEX([GEO.xls]Sheet2!$Q$4:$Q$18,MATCH(AX3,[GEO.xls]Sheet2!$B$4:$B$18,0)))

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.

Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula

structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4

make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts

colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

RagDyer

I would guess that perhaps the data that's in AX3 doesn't *exactly* match
what's in Column B.

Do you import any of your data?
Are the names "full" names, first, and/or middle and last names, where there
might be a possibilty that the spaces between them might not be a normal
Char(32) space?
Could there be a possibility of leading and/or trailing spaces?

For a test, key a name into Column B.
Enter that same name in *exactly* the same way into AX3, and see if you get
a correct return from your formula.

RD

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.

Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula

structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4

make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts

colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found

on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

In using the lookup formula I find that the data in column AX3 is not exactly
like that in sheet 2 B4. ie: the spacing between first and last name is not
the same. Any way to correct this. I only know of the differences when the
dollar amounts are not tranfered. I then have to correct these errors
manually. Hope this makes sense

Thanks for all the help

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.

Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula

structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4

make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts
colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

Myrna Larson

If you sometimes have double or triple spaces, you can do a search and replace
on column AX: search for two spaces and replace with 1 space. Repeat until
Excel tell you there are no more matches.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in
message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts
colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found

on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

George A. Yorks

Have looked through help menu for how to perform a search and replace you
speak of. I can't find anything. Could you give me some direction. Thanks
for all your help

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in
message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts
colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found

on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

Dave Peterson

Look under Edit|Replace on the worksheet toolbar.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

George A. Yorks

My column is comprised of names with varied spaces between first and last
name.As you suggested went to edit find/replace and in the find place the
name with extra spaces. in the replace entered the name with one place and
clicked on find. Nothing. The help menu is of no help. Has to be
something obvious that I am not doing

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

You can get rid of leading/trailing/duplicate internal spaces by using a helper
column with a formula like:

=trim(a1)
copy down the column.

Then you can copy|paste special|values right over the original list and delete
the helper column. (Do this on the lookup table, too.)

If you copied from a web page, maybe you're seeing the non-breaking HTML spaces.

David McRitchie has a routine that will clean up this kind of stuff at:
(look for "Sub Trimall()")

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

George A. Yorks

I am still not able to adjust space between two words. I have a column of
names with two or three spaces between first and last name. I want to adjust
so there is only one space between the two names. How to do this. Was
suggested I do a search and replace but have not found how to do this. Any
help appreciated
--
George

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in
message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts
colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found

on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

Bob Phillips

George,

you might have some odd characters in there, that look like spaces.

Try this

- select a cell with the multiple gaps
- hit F2 then in the formula bar select 2 of those characters and copy (to
the clipboard) then exit
- Find and Replace (Ctrl H)
- paste the clipboard value into the Find What box
- put a single space in the Replace with
- OK

repeat this until none found, then try replacing two spaces with one until
no more.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"RagDyeR" wrote:

Try this in Ay3 of "Miriam":

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(AX3,Geo!$B$4:$B$18,0)),"Not
Found",INDEX(Geo!$K$4:$K$18,MATCH(AX3,Geo!$B$4:$B$ 18,0)))

You can then *double click* on the "fill handle" in the lower

right
corner
of AY3, which will *automatically* copy the formula in AY3 down

Column
AY,
as far as there is data in Column AX.
--

HTH,

RD
Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may

benefit!

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and

tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked

up in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the

formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact

does the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

George A. Yorks

In using find and replace, I select the full column do ctrl. h to get find
and replace but still trying to figure how to look for three spaces in find
and two spaces in replace. If I use * * that is all that gets replaced
--
George

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in
message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts
colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found
on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

RagDyer

You're still trying to solve this "old" problem?

To start from scratch:
Case 1:
For "regular" spaces, follow Myrna's suggestion:

Select the column of names, then,
<Edit <Replace,
In the "Find What" box, hit the <Space bar 2 times,
In the "Replace With" box, hit the <Space bar 1 time.
Then, "Replace All".

*Repeat* this a couple of times, where you enter 3 and then 4 spaces in the
"Find What" box, always replacing with a single space.

See if this helps the situation to *any* extant.
If some do match, but not all, you might have to repeat, using more and more
spaces in the "Find What" box.

Case 2:

If there's no improvement replacing "regular" spaces (Char(32)), try
replacing "non-breaking" (Char(160)) spaces.
Naturally, you *can't* use the <Space bar for these.

Make sure the "Find What" box is empty.
It tends to "remember" the criteria from your last search, and of course,
you can't see those spaces you entered.
Now, enter the "non-breaking" space in the "Find What" box by:
Hold <Alt,
And type the number,
0160
Using the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the function keys.
And of course, you will not see anything in the "Find What" box, since those
keystrokes DO produce a space.
Again, enter your single "regular" space in the "Replace" box.

If this doesn't help, and you're still having a problem after all this, you
could try to identify what character is exactly between the names.

Try this formula:

=CODE(MID(A1,5,1))

Where A1 is the cell containing one of the "problem" names, and the "5" is
the character count of the first space in the name, counting from the left.

If you had a problem name of George Washington in cell G5, you would revise
the formula to:

=CODE(MID(G5,7,1))

This should return a "32" for a normal space,
Or a "160" for a non-breaking space.

If it looks like there is more then a single space, just increment the
number in the formula to test those "other" spaces.

AND, if you do get another number returned, just use that number in the
"Edit & Replace" procedure, making sure that you do use *4* digits, with
leading zeroes where necessary.
--
HTH,

RD

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and

tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being

looked up in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the

formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact

does the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

George A. Yorks

I have tried to use the suggested formula (=code(mid(a1,5,1,)) and in case
one received 32 as result. when I then go to search replace I have entered
spaces to search and spaces to replace( four blank spaces to search and two
blank spaces to replace.)This does not work and can't figure how else to use
the search replace. Any further help appreciated
--
George

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it to
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up in.

Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula

structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does the 4

make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

In B1 of sheet 1:
=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$B$10, 2, FALSE)

Copy down with fill handle to B10.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Trying to create a formula to do the following:
Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10

Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts
colums
d1-d10

want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found

on
sheet 1
than
the corresponding dollar amount is entered.

Any help appreciated.
--
George

Ragdyer

If you wish, you can send me your sheet, and I'll see what I can figure out.

Cut out cutout from my address.

RD

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it

retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up

in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does

the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

George A. Yorks

Sean O'Hair   $957,225
Rod Pampling $931,189
Geoff Ogilvy $928,444
Billy Andrade $915,285
Jonathan Kaye $858,395
Lucas Glover   $822,434
Aaron Baddeley $805,982
Joe Durant $790,169
Shigeki Maruyama $786,922
John Daly 1 $778,132
Scott McCarron $764,649
James Driscoll   $757,239
Bob Tway $714,841
Brian Davis   $711,804
The list above shows names with the A A as an extention. This seems to
create my problem. If I try to simply delete these "A A" the names can not
be properly spaced. This probably results in the hidden spaces you speak of.
Is there any method to remove the extension and allow for proper spacing.
After all your help it appears to boil down to this.
--
George

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and tells it

retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked up

in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact does

the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

RagDyer

I can't tell what your data contains from just looking at it in your post.

If you don't wish to send me a copy, there's really nothing more I can
suggest to you, besides perhaps the outside chance that "Text To Columns"
might accomplish something.

RD

-

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and

tells it
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked

up
in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in

message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the

formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact

does
the 4
make
reference to?

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this:

=VLOOKUP(A1, 'Sheet2'!$A$1:$D$10, 4, 0)

--

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

[...]

George A. Yorks

I thought what I sent would help one last thought. I've tried to use the
trim and/or clean funtion to remove what appears to be a hidden character and
hidden space. The character is removed the spaces of the name is correct but
when I reverse the names (from first and last) to (last and first)using a
workable formula the spacing reverts tothe incorrect multiple spacing. It's
mind boggling
--
George

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

George,

The 4 is the third parameter of the VLOOKUP function, and

tells it
retrieve the cell in the 4th column of the range being looked

up
in.
Did
say being looked up in? Oh, well. :)

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George A. Yorks" .(donotspam) wrote in
message
Thanks for the help. I know I'll fully understand the

formula
structure
soon. One question, at end of formula ,4,0 what in fact

does
the 4
make
reference to?