Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I generate a total cost for user selected rows?

I'd like to create a price table with vendors across the top and products
down the side so that at any given time we could pick a subset of products
and have the worksheet calculate the total cost of those products from each
vendor. I think I can do it with an IF command for each product and vendor,
but that seems like a lot of work for something that I suspect must have an
easier solution. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It would be something like Office Max, Office Depot, Quill, and Viking as
vendors (columns) and something like copy paper, pens, legal pads, calendars,
and paper clips as products (rows). For each product, it would list the price
with each vendor; so for "pens" it might be $2.99 for Office Max, $2.63 for
Office Depot, etc. What Id like to be able to do is have a user say they want
copy paper, legal pads, and paper clips (but not pens or calendars) and have
an entry at the bottom of each column compute the total cost at each vendor
for those selected products. Basically it would be a quick way to help
optimize individual purchase orders.