Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF statement checking if a cell's text is red

I want to say :-
IF the text in A1 is formatted Red then, "yes" else "no"

Is there any way I can do this?

Ta v much
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: IF statement checking if a cell's text is red

Formula to check if text is formatted as red:

Code:
=IF(GET.CELL(38,INDIRECT("rc",FALSE))=255,"yes","no")
How it works:
  1. The GET.CELL function retrieves information about a cell's formatting. The first argument (38) tells it to retrieve the color index of the font color.
  2. The INDIRECT function is used to create a reference to cell A1 using the "rc" reference style.
  3. The FALSE argument tells INDIRECT to use relative referencing.
  4. The IF function checks if the color index is equal to 255, which is the color index for red.
  5. If the color index is 255, the formula returns "yes". Otherwise, it returns "no".

Note that this formula will only work if the text in cell A1 is formatted as red using the font color option. If the text is formatted as red using conditional formatting or some other method, this formula may not work.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Shazzer,

You may be able to adjust this to your needs.
http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.Colo...r.html#sorting

HTH
Martin

"Shazzer" wrote in message
I want to say :-
IF the text in A1 is formatted Red then, "yes" else "no"

Is there any way I can do this?

Ta v much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I would think that depends on the criteria you are using to turn the text
red... If you are using conditional formatting, then the IF statement would
mirror that of the conditional formatting.

What is the criteria you are using for the red text?

"Shazzer" wrote:

I want to say :-
IF the text in A1 is formatted Red then, "yes" else "no"

Is there any way I can do this?

Ta v much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think you would have to make a new function. There's a built in
function that gives information about the target cell, CELL, but it
doesn't return the actual color of the text. I'm no expert, so this
example if really basic, but should work. Put the following text into
a module in the spreadsheet in which you want to use the function:

Function CheckRed(target As Range)

Application.Volatile
If target.Font.Color = 255 Then
CheckRed = "Yes"
Else
CheckRed = "No"
End If

End Function

In the cell that you would have put your IF statement, use this:

=CheckRed(A1)

Hope this helps.

"Shazzer" wrote:

I want to say :-
IF the text in A1 is formatted Red then, "yes" else "no"

Is there any way I can do this?

Ta v much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Create a named range (Insert ~ Name ~ Define)

In the Define Name dialog box enter a name in the 'Names in workbook:' box
(e.g. RedCell).

In the 'Refers to:' box enter this formula:
=IF(GET.CELL(63,Sheet1!$A$1)=3,"Yes","No")

alternatively use:
=IF(GET.CELL(63,INDIRECT(ADDRESS(0,-1,4,FALSE),FALSE))=3,"Yes","No")

which will return Yes if the cell to the immediate left of the cell
containing the formula is red (change the 0 & -1 to refer to different
rows/columns).

Regards,
Darren.

Junior Member

Default more advanced, please!!!

This funtion work if we coloring the text in cell manually. How about if text in cell is colored by conditional formatting rules, I think this function won't work. I've been tried this method, it's fail or I miss something that I don't know.

Hope You share your experience.
Thank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[_6_] View Post