Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I type negative money in excel?

When I download my bank statements, the withdrawals are negative numbers.
Howcan I make entries like that?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I type negative money in excel?

To type negative money in Excel, simply enter a minus sign (-) before the amount. For example, if you want to enter a withdrawal of $50, you can type "-50" in the cell.

If you have a column of withdrawals that are all negative numbers, you can format the column to display negative numbers in parentheses. Here's how:
  1. Select the column of withdrawals.
  2. Right-click and select "Format Cells" from the menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, select the "Number" tab.
  4. In the "Category" list, select "Currency".
  5. In the "Symbol" list, select the currency symbol you want to use.
  6. In the "Negative numbers" section, select "Accounting" from the "Negative numbers" list.
  7. Click "OK" to apply the formatting.

This will display negative numbers in parentheses, like this: ($50.00).

If you want to change the currency symbol or the way negative numbers are displayed, you can customize the formatting options in the "Format Cells" dialog box.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Does it get downloaded in excel. If so make sure that cell formatting
is General.
Check and see if it works

Ugly Betty wrote:
When I download my bank statements, the withdrawals are negative numbers.
Howcan I make entries like that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Type a minus sign before you type the number

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

Ugly Betty wrote:
When I download my bank statements, the withdrawals are negative numbers.
Howcan I make entries like that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To make negative entries, just type - before the number. If yu format as
Currency, you can also automatically show the negative cells in red or with
parentheses.