Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2003 Using the keyboard

I need to use the keyboard in Excel rather than the mouse for health reasons.
Does anyone know where I can find a list of keystrokes for Excel commands.
I'm not so much looking for keyboard shortcuts, it's for things like
accessing the "Name" box (above column 'A'), or filling a series with the
keyboard instead of the black +.

Thanks,
Rob E.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I cannot think of any way to get to the Name box without a mouse
However, there are many other ways of going things that do not require you
to get to the Name box
Tell us what operation you need to do with the Name box and we can suggest
alternative methods
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rob E" wrote in message
I need to use the keyboard in Excel rather than the mouse for health
reasons.
Does anyone know where I can find a list of keystrokes for Excel commands.
I'm not so much looking for keyboard shortcuts, it's for things like
accessing the "Name" box (above column 'A'), or filling a series with the
keyboard instead of the black +.

Thanks,
Rob E.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sun, 26 Aug 2007 03:08:01 -0700 from Rob E
:
I need to use the keyboard in Excel rather than the mouse for health reasons.
Does anyone know where I can find a list of keystrokes for Excel commands.
I'm not so much looking for keyboard shortcuts, it's for things like
accessing the "Name" box (above column 'A'), or filling a series with the
keyboard instead of the black +.

Instead of mousing into the Name box, use Insert | Name | Define.

Instead of mousing on the fill handle, use this from Excel help" "To
fill in the active cell with the contents of the cell above it (fill
downward), press CTRL+D. To fill in with contents of the cell to the
left (fill to the right), press CTRL+R." It will be nasty and
repetitive, but it will get the job done.

--
"First prove what you're saying, then whine about it."
-- /The People's Court/
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To access the name box try Alt + e,g

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 03:08:01 -0700, Rob E
wrote:

I need to use the keyboard in Excel rather than the mouse for health reasons.
Does anyone know where I can find a list of keystrokes for Excel commands.
I'm not so much looking for keyboard shortcuts, it's for things like
accessing the "Name" box (above column 'A'), or filling a series with the
keyboard instead of the black +.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip Pearson shows a way using a macro to get to the name box. You could assign
your own shortcut key.
http://cpearson.com/excel/NameBoxShortcut.htm

And F5 or ctrl-g will show the same name as Edit|goto
and
ctrl-F3 will show the Insert|Name|Define dialog

Chip Pearson shares some shortcut keys:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ShortCuts.htm

And David McRitchie has some he
http://mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm

Rob E wrote:

I need to use the keyboard in Excel rather than the mouse for health reasons.
Does anyone know where I can find a list of keystrokes for Excel commands.
I'm not so much looking for keyboard shortcuts, it's for things like
accessing the "Name" box (above column 'A'), or filling a series with the
keyboard instead of the black +.

Thanks,
Rob E.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And F5 or ctrl-g will show the same name as Edit|goto
should be
And F5 or ctrl-g will show the same DIALOG as Edit|goto

Rob E wrote:

I need to use the keyboard in Excel rather than the mouse for health reasons.
Does anyone know where I can find a list of keystrokes for Excel commands.
I'm not so much looking for keyboard shortcuts, it's for things like
accessing the "Name" box (above column 'A'), or filling a series with the
keyboard instead of the black +.

Thanks,
Rob E.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Stan Brown" wrote ...
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 03:08:01 -0700 from Rob E
:
I need to use the keyboard in Excel rather than the mouse for health
reasons.
Does anyone know where I can find a list of keystrokes for Excel
commands.
I'm not so much looking for keyboard shortcuts, it's for things like
accessing the "Name" box (above column 'A'), or filling a series with the
keyboard instead of the black +.

Instead of mousing into the Name box, use Insert | Name | Define.

Instead of mousing on the fill handle, use this from Excel help" "To
fill in the active cell with the contents of the cell above it (fill
downward), press CTRL+D. To fill in with contents of the cell to the
left (fill to the right), press CTRL+R." It will be nasty and
repetitive, but it will get the job done.

I don't think either solution would work very well for what was asked,
since they have more specific uses than was asked for, or more to the
point doesn't seem to want to make a permanent name.

Chip Pearson has a macro and a suggested shortcut of Ctrl+Shift+N
(I was thinking along the lines of Ctrl+M that I used for something of less
use)
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NameBoxShortcut.htm

My page on keyboard shortcuts is
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm
--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

sorry Dave, didn't look first, and you didn't miss anything either,
I got hung up on trying to see if I could find the equivalent of
Insert|Define|Name
on Excel 2007, I tried help. The Excel 2007 Help sets searching back more
than
a decade considering it is but one small database.

"Dave Peterson" wrote...
Chip Pearson shows a way using a macro to get to the name box. You could
assign
your own shortcut key.
http://cpearson.com/excel/NameBoxShortcut.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:48:03 -0400 from David McRitchie
:
The Excel 2007 Help sets searching back more than a decade
considering it is but one small database.

You mean searching is worse than in Excel 2003 help? Then it must be
bad indeed. :-(

--
"First prove what you're saying, then whine about it."
-- /The People's Court/
http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Stan Brown"
You mean searching is worse than in Excel 2003 help? Then it must be
bad indeed. :-(

Don't know, was using Excel 2002 and brought up Excel 2007
6 days ago on new computer.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

<rant
I have the greatest sympathy for new users trying to solve their
problems by searching Excel's Help. When I jumped to Excel 2003, I
was shocked at the poor search-result ranking algorithms, not to
mention certain entries that looked like they had been written at
three in the morning by someone with shaky English. And I sorely
missed Question Mark help -- the kind that used to take you to the
*exact* entry what you had clicked, and not make you comb through a
whole page's worth of explanations.
</rant

On Aug 26, 8:53 pm, "David McRitchie"
wrote:
"Stan Brown"

You mean searching is worse than in Excel 2003 help? Then it must be
bad indeed. :-(

Don't know, was using Excel 2002 and brought up Excel 2007
6 days ago on new computer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's actually called "Context sensitive help" ("What's This" )
and besides clicking on the [?] in the upper right hand corner was also
available Shift+F1, and I think there were other applications that had it
and dropped it upon switching to web help files.

Excel 2007 Ctrl+F1 show/hide ribbon
also available as "minimize ribbon" in dropdown (chevron) upper left
corner.

It becomes very necessary to learn more keyboard shortcuts, for instance,
I never remember Ctrl+1 for the format dialogs but you're going to need to
know that one with Excel 2007.

Tools menus split up to the four winds
(somewhere in Developer Ribbon, somewhere in Office button - Excel options,
somewhere in Office left sidebar, somewhere on another Ribbon, and
if you guess wrong then start over again)

"David Hilberg" wrote in message
ps.com...
<rant
I have the greatest sympathy for new users trying to solve their
problems by searching Excel's Help. When I jumped to Excel 2003, I
was shocked at the poor search-result ranking algorithms, not to
mention certain entries that looked like they had been written at
three in the morning by someone with shaky English. And I sorely
missed Question Mark help -- the kind that used to take you to the
*exact* entry what you had clicked, and not make you comb through a
whole page's worth of explanations.
</rant

On Aug 26, 8:53 pm, "David McRitchie"
wrote:
"Stan Brown"

You mean searching is worse than in Excel 2003 help? Then it must be
bad indeed. :-(

Don't know, was using Excel 2002 and brought up Excel 2007
6 days ago on new computer.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Last decent help in Excel was 97, then they gradually became less good
although worse might be a better word.

Peo Sjoblom

"David Hilberg" wrote in message
ps.com...
<rant
I have the greatest sympathy for new users trying to solve their
problems by searching Excel's Help. When I jumped to Excel 2003, I
was shocked at the poor search-result ranking algorithms, not to
mention certain entries that looked like they had been written at
three in the morning by someone with shaky English. And I sorely
missed Question Mark help -- the kind that used to take you to the
*exact* entry what you had clicked, and not make you comb through a
whole page's worth of explanations.
</rant

On Aug 26, 8:53 pm, "David McRitchie"
"Stan Brown"