danielle

Default how do i make a chart using text information?

I'm trying to make a pie chart using words as the information to compute =

rather than numbers - is this possible to do? like for example if i =
wanted to=20
calculate the percentage of french students, spanish students, and =
english=20
students in a class of 30, and i set up my column like this:

STUDENT'S NATIONALITY
french
french
english
spanish
english
spanish
spanish
spanish
french

would it be possible to have excel make a pie chart that shows the=20
proportion of french to english to spanish students in the class? or do =
i have=20
to set up my information differently?

-danielle
Roger Govier

Hi Danielle

Insert a row at the head of your data and call it Nationality.
Mark the whole block of data and select Data=Pivot Table and finish
Drag the field Nationality to the Row Area and also to the Data Area
selecting Count of Nationality.
Slect Pivot Chart and the data will be expressed as a pie chart as you
require.

For more detailed instructions on setting up Pivot Tables and Charts take a
look at the examples at Debra Dalgleish's site
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html and in particular follow the link to

Regards
Roger Govier
"danielle" wrote in message
[...]

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Define a dynamic range p.e. Nationality, as:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,,,COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A:$A,"<")-1,1)

(I assume in A1 is column header, so actual data start from A2)

Create another table on another or on same (as in my example) sheet, p.e.
F1="Nationality";
G1="Number";
F2:F4 enter "french", "english" and "spanish";
Into G2 enter the formula
=COUNTIF(Nationality;F2)
and copy it to range G2:G4;
Create your pie chart based on this new table.

Arvi Laanemets

"danielle" wrote in message
[...]

Arvi Laanemets

"RagDyeR" wrote in message