Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default ROUNDUP to nearest 1/16 (in decimals)

How can I ROUNDUP a number to the nearest 1/16? I currently have a
column with 1/16 increments listed in decimals:
1/16 = 0.0625
1/8 = 0.125
3/16 = 0.1875
etc.

Do I simply do a lookup on that column? If so, how can I do this?

THANKS!
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: ROUNDUP to nearest 1/16 (in decimals)

Yes, you can use the lookup function to round up a number to the nearest 1/16. Here are the steps:
  1. In a new column, enter the formula
    Code:
    =ROUNDUP(A1*16,0)/16
    , assuming your number is in cell A1. This will multiply your number by 16, round it up to the nearest whole number, and then divide it by 16 to get the nearest 1/16.
  2. In the next column, enter your list of 1/16 increments in decimals (
    Code:
    0.0625
    ,
    Code:
    0.125
    ,
    Code:
    0.1875
    , etc.).
  3. In a third column, use the VLOOKUP function to find the closest match between the rounded-up number and the list of 1/16 increments. The formula would be
    Code:
    =VLOOKUP(B1,C1:C4,1,TRUE)
    , assuming your rounded-up number is in cell B1 and your list of 1/16 increments is in cells C1:C4. The "TRUE" argument in the formula tells Excel to find an approximate match.
  4. The result in the third column will be the closest 1/16 increment in decimals to your rounded-up number.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=ROUNDUP(A2*16,0)/16
will round UP to next 1/16. Take ROUND if you want to round to closest
1/16.

Regards,
Bernd
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On May 12, 9:34*am, Bernd P wrote:
=ROUNDUP(A2*16,0)/16
will round UP to next 1/16. Take ROUND if you want to round to closest
1/16.

Regards,
Bernd

Thanks, Bernd. I should've been more specific. I need to round the
result of the following function to the nearest 1/16:
=(V5*D5)-AB12+AC12

How can I modify this to round accordingly?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On May 12, 9:55*am, Glenn wrote:
wrote:
On May 12, 9:34 am, Bernd P wrote:
=ROUNDUP(A2*16,0)/16
will round UP to next 1/16. Take ROUND if you want to round to closest
1/16.

Regards,
Bernd

Thanks, Bernd. I should've been more specific. I need to round the
result of the following function to the nearest 1/16:
=(V5*D5)-AB12+AC12

How can I modify this to round accordingly?

Substitute your function for A2 in Bernd's function.

=ROUNDUP(((V5*D5)-AB12+AC12)*16,0)/16

Good grief! Thanks, Glenn! I was going about this the hard way!
Thanks, Bernd!