Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default User Specific excel problem when opening a excel worksheet

CP sp2/ excel 2003 sp3

I have a user that opens a excel worksheet - and it has no data - just a
letter or two on the page. We cannot move around at all, but the application
is NOT forzen.
I tried to open it with repair and it could not get the data. I tried
extract and it was unusable.

When I log into the same machine with another account the same excel file
opens without a problem. I tried reinstalling office, then removing, reboot,
installing excel.
Same problem. So I have the user create a new copy and he can get in, then
the problem happens again after a certain period of time. The user can log
into another machine and open the file without a problem. What could be
causing this and how could I address it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi SJMP,

Before we go any further, I would like to check with you on the following points.

1. When you say "move around", what do you refer to, use the mouse to click the scroll bar to view the next page, press the
Up/Down arrow key to go to next cell, or others?
2. Does the issue only occur with one specific worksheet on the computer when the user logs on? When the user create a new
worksheet, what is the result?
3. Take a screen shot of the worksheet window when you cannot move around.

How to take a screen shot, please follow the steps below:
a. When screen shows up, press the Print Screen key (right of F12 key) Note: nothing will happen.
b. Open MS Paint program (click Start menu All Programs Accessories Paint).
c. Click Edit (menu) - Paste or press Ctrl + V.
d. Click File (menu) - Save. Save it as a *.jpg file and send it to me as an attachment.

** Suggestion:

At this point, follow the steps below to see if it works.

#1 Check if the 'Scroll Lock' key is turned on. If so, press it to turn it off. Test the issue.

#2 Come into Excel safe mode to test the issue.
==================
Under Excel safe mode, it doesn't load the third party addins, Excel setting registry keys, and the files in the startup folder.

1. Click Start-Run, type "Excel /safe" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box.
Note: There is a space between the Excel and the /safe switch.

2. Click OK.
3. Click File Open to open the worksheet.

Does the problem persist in Excel safe mode? If the issue doesn't occur under safe mode, please continue to next steps.

#3 Disable all the installed add-ins
============================
1. Start Excel in normal Mode
2. Click the Office icon Excel Options.
3. Click Addins. In the 'manage' field, choose 'Excel add-ins', click Go. Uncheck all the checked add-ins in the Add-ins available list box
4. In the 'manage' field, choose 'COM add-ins', click Go. Uncheck all the checked add-ins in the Add-ins available list box
5. Click OK

Test the issue again. What is the result?

#4 Recreate the Excel registry key to see if it works.
===============================
1. Click Start Run. Type regedit, click OK.
2. Locate the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel
3. Right click it and choose Delete to delete it.
4. Restart Excel. Then, a new key will be generated. What is the result?

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

--------------------

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

My Email is .
--------------------
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
From:
(Emily Lin)

#4 Recreate the Excel registry key to see if it works.
===============================
1. Click Start Run. Type regedit, click OK.
2. Locate the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel
3. Right click it and choose Delete to delete it.
4. Restart Excel. Then, a new key will be generated. What is the result?

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! -
www.microsoft.com/security
================================================= ====
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.
================================================= =====

--------------------

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi SJMP,

I am just writing to see if you have had the opportunity to try the troubleshooting steps or collect the requested information. If you
have any questions with the previous information I've provided, please don't hesitate to let me know.

From: (Emily Lin)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 05:36:40 GMT
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup

My Email is
.
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
From:
(Emily Lin)

#4 Recreate the Excel registry key to see if it works.