Mark Hayden

Default How do you display Greek and Russian languages in excel?

I have Windows XP Professional and MS Office 2000 installed on my work
computer.

The excel spreadsheet I open (lexicon.tab) contains translations for about
10 European languages. The only 2 that dont display properly are Greek and
Russian. These display on screen as messed up ascii characters.

The font i'm using is "Arial" but i've also tried "Arial Unicode MS" without
luck.

When i change the "language for non-unicode programs" (under Regional and
Language Options) from "English (Australian)" to "Greek" then restart the
computer, the Greek caracters in this same lexicon.tab excel spreadsheet
display correctly.

Reading the excel help files it indicates that excel uses unicode and by
changing the font to "Arial Unicode MS" most languages should display
correctly.
Why would changing the OS setting "language for non-unicode programs" affect
what is said to be a unicode program?

Could someone suggest how i can display Greek and Russian languages in Excel
without having to change the "language for non-unicode programs" setting in
XP and rebooting please?

Thanks,
Mark

KL

Hi Mark,

I use exactly the same combination of Windows and Office and have no issue
whatsoever with displaying Russian, Greek, English, Spanish etc. fonts. In
fact, these are the languages I work in. I don't recall having done anything
special to enable that. Maybe your file contains text that's been printed in
non-unicode fonts (which you kinda confirmed with your Greek example). If
you so wish, you can e-mail your file to (no need for the full text - just
leave a few words of each language) me and we'll see if it works in my
sistem (please remove the words NO, SPAM and PLEASE from my e-mail address)

The only issue is that program interfaces in Russian and/or Greek would not
diplay correctly unless you change "language for non-unicode programs"
option under Regional and Language Options.

Regards,
KL