jedi249

Default Opening an Excel File

My computer recently crashed and I was able to back-up my data from my hard
drive to a cd before I did a system restore. I have MS Office 2000. I am
trying to open an Excel file from the cd and I get the following message:

"Cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to
access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not
be responding. Access is denied."

When I try to change the properties of the file and take off the read-only
attribute, I get the following message:

"An error occurred applying the attributes to the file. Access is denied."

I also tried doing an xcopy of the file to the hard drive and I get the same
message. There are other Excel files on the same cd which open just fine. How
can I open this file?
papou

Hi again
I have tried restoring this file

What do you mean?
If your file was copied from the CD onto your hard disk and from there (your
hard disk) you unticked the read-only attribute and got the message, then I
am afraid I do not have a clue unless the file is corrupt or I have missed
something?
HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"jedi249" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
to the hard drive and unticking the
read-only attribute and I get the same message.

"papou" wrote:

Hi
The files you save on a CD(R) become Read-Only.
Once you restore these files from your CD onto your hard drive, remember
reset their attribute by UNticking "Read-only" on the files properties.

[...]

jedi249

Hi again,

Yes, I did copy this file from the CD onto the hard disk and the read-only
attribute was unticked, but I still get the same messages. So does that mean
the file is corrupt and I am out of luck trying to get the data?

Thanks for your help,
Karin

"papou" wrote:

[...]

RagDyeR

Try doing it from WINDOWS Explorer.

Navigate to the file in Windows Explorer.

Right click on the file and click on "Properties".

Usually in the "General" tab, under "Attributes", you should be able to
*UNCHECK* "Read Only".
--

HTH,

RD