arleen a.

Default I get a 0 value when a formula is copied to another cell

A1=1; B1=1; C1=A1+B1=2; when the formula in C1 was copied to C2 where A2=2;
B2=2; the value is shown as 0. HOwever, when i checked the formula in C2, it
was correct (A2+B2). Why is this so? I checked the "calculation" under the
optiions, automatic was ticked. I also pressed F9 for recalc, the value in
C2 remained at 0. Can someody enlighten me on this? thanks

arleen a.

Hi Ken..thanks but i did not. the example is showed earlier is a simplistic
way of showing the problem. Actually, the reference cells (A2 and B2) are
totals of various figures or numbers...

arleen a.

"Ken Russell" wrote:

If you mistakenly typed -2 in either A2 or B2 then C2 would equal 0 instead
of 4.

--
Ken Russell

Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
..

"arleen a." <arleen wrote in message
A1=1; B1=1; C1=A1+B1=2; when the formula in C1 was copied to C2 where
A2=2;
B2=2; the value is shown as 0. HOwever, when i checked the formula in C2,
it
was correct (A2+B2). Why is this so? I checked the "calculation" under
the
optiions, automatic was ticked. I also pressed F9 for recalc, the value
in
C2 remained at 0. Can someody enlighten me on this? thanks

paul

is it possible that the actual sum of the two cells is zero?
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"Ken Russell" wrote:

If you mistakenly typed -2 in either A2 or B2 then C2 would equal 0 instead
of 4.

--
Ken Russell

Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
..

"arleen a." <arleen wrote in message
A1=1; B1=1; C1=A1+B1=2; when the formula in C1 was copied to C2 where
A2=2;
B2=2; the value is shown as 0. HOwever, when i checked the formula in C2,
it
was correct (A2+B2). Why is this so? I checked the "calculation" under
the
optiions, automatic was ticked. I also pressed F9 for recalc, the value
in
C2 remained at 0. Can someody enlighten me on this? thanks

Jerry W. Lewis

If you had used =SUM(A1:B1) instead of =A1+B1, then I would assume that the
values in A2:B2 were text instead of numeric, which could be verified by
testing that =COUNT(A2:B2) returns zero. Given that the formula is =A1+B1,
text digits would be coerced into numbers, or non-coercible text would
produce an error. One of the following must be true

- Something is not as I understand you to have described (post an e-mail
address and I will write you privatly for a copy of the workbook)

- You have an early version of Excel 97, that has not fixed the recalc bug
that was addressed with later service patches.

- You have run accross a basic arithmetic bug that is completely outside my
experience with Excel (I strongly doubt this possibility)

Jerry