Dave C.

Default Changing the auto fill order from ascending to descending

All,

I am seeking information on how to change the default auto fill order from
ascending to descending when using alpha numeric entries.

To clarify, if you enter data into a cell and then click the lower right
corner and drag to the next lower cell(s) the value increases. I would like
it to decrease. How can I set that up.

Dave C.

That it does, but when I select the fill option, it just performs the fill,
but doesn't allow me to select the -1 stepping. However if I go to a blank
column and type a number then select the entire column and choose
edit/fill/series/ -1 on the stepping it works.....

"Dave C." wrote in message
All,

I am seeking information on how to change the default auto fill order
from
ascending to descending when using alpha numeric entries.

To clarify, if you enter data into a cell and then click the lower
right
corner and drag to the next lower cell(s) the value increases. I would
like
it to decrease. How can I set that up.

Dave C.

Kind of puzzling, huh? I am using Excel 2003. This doesn't seem like it
would be that difficult of a task. It's strange that when you click, either
left or right mouse button in the lower right corner of the cell and drag
down, everything goes in ascending order even though it's alpha-numeric.
Conversely, doing the same in the upper right corner of a cell and dragging
upward, it has a descending effect. One would think that this process could
be reversed.

"Dave C." wrote in message
All,

I am seeking information on how to change the default auto fill
order
from
ascending to descending when using alpha numeric entries.

To clarify, if you enter data into a cell and then click the lower
right
corner and drag to the next lower cell(s) the value increases. I
would
like
it to decrease. How can I set that up.

Dave C.

It would make this particular job easier, but at the same time it's not worth
the extra effort since I cannot be sure I'll run across something like this
again. Thanks for your help.

Dave...

"Dave C." wrote in message
All,

I am seeking information on how to change the default auto fill
order
from
ascending to descending when using alpha numeric entries.

To clarify, if you enter data into a cell and then click the
lower
right
corner and drag to the next lower cell(s) the value increases. I
would
like
it to decrease. How can I set that up.

Gord Dibben

Dave

Either..........

1. Enter a100 in A1 and a99 in A2 then drag down or

2. Enter a100 in A1 and =A1-1 in A2 and drag down.

AFAIK you cannot change the ascending order of Autofill when only 1 cell has a
value.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP