Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How can I get the average of curves on a plot?

Hello!

I would like to get the average curve from several curves on a plot. Is
there a way to do this in Excel?

(Background infromation: I have, say, 10 sets of XY points and I want
to take the average of these to obtain a set of average X and Y points
and plot them. However, each of these 10 sets have a different amount
of XY points and I can't simply take the average across the row. Any
solutions?)

Thanks!

--
jessie joe
jessie joe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36054

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
HEK HEK is offline

(A) If the X-values are the same for each series the Y-value of the average
is simply the average of the respective y-values.
(B) So, I assume yr X-values are not equal, though within a comparable
scale. You cld try to interpolate / extrapolate the xy-pairs to obtain a
kind of best-fit curve, with Add Trendline you can choose a polynomial fit
which gives you say 10 estimated curves. Now the one y'r looking for is the
average of Y-values belonging to that fit, identical as in (A).
HTH,
Henk

"jessie joe" wrote:

Hello!

I would like to get the average curve from several curves on a plot. Is
there a way to do this in Excel?

(Background infromation: I have, say, 10 sets of XY points and I want
to take the average of these to obtain a set of average X and Y points
and plot them. However, each of these 10 sets have a different amount
of XY points and I can't simply take the average across the row. Any
solutions?)

Thanks!

--
jessie joe
jessie joe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36054
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558432

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I am not sure I understand. How do I get the set of average X and Y
values from the 10 estimated curves?

--
jessie joe
jessie joe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36054
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558432

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

1) Fit each of the 10 data sets to a suitable curve (polynomial or
other). Use LINEST or chart trendlines.
2) You can then take an average of the 10 curves by selecting a value
for x, calculating the value for y at each of the 10 curves, then
average that set of y's. This will give you an average value for y at
a given x. Repeat for as many x's as needed.

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If your data is noisy, then fitting a polynomial (as others suggested) can
smooth it before you average. However, if the data is not noisy and not from
a low order polynomial, you should be aware that a least squares fit need not
pass through any observed points.

If you really want to average what the chart displays, then the chart
smoother appears to fit Bezier curves

http://www.xlrotor.com/Smooth_curve_...ample_file.zip

which in most instances is not greatly different than cubic splines

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...2966520eccdb1f

(local polynomial fits that do pass through the data points, as opposed to a
global polynomial fit that may not).

Jerry