Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 always opens in Compatibility Mode

I have a user who recently upgraded to Office 2007. Every time he opens
Excel 2007 (not a spreadsheet, just the application itself) it opens as
"Book1 Compatibility Mode". How can I fix this?

I know when you open pre-07 spreadsheets they open that way, and I know how
to Convert or do Save As to the new .xlsx format, however, seems like his
"Book1" template got overwritten as a 2003 .xls template or something.

I apologize if this has already been posted, couldn't find an answer.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The first thing I would check is whether you have a file named Book.xlt in
the XLStart directory and if that file is in 2003 format. The XLStart
folder is typically something like (under Vista)

C:\Users\<username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Exce l\XLSTART

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"ksmek" wrote in message
I have a user who recently upgraded to Office 2007. Every time he opens
Excel 2007 (not a spreadsheet, just the application itself) it opens as
"Book1 Compatibility Mode". How can I fix this?

I know when you open pre-07 spreadsheets they open that way, and I know
how
to Convert or do Save As to the new .xlsx format, however, seems like his
"Book1" template got overwritten as a 2003 .xls template or something.

I apologize if this has already been posted, couldn't find an answer.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

like his "Book1" template got overwritten as a 2003 .xls template

Have you tried deleting his old template or replacing it with one in the
XLSX format?

--
Jim
"ksmek" wrote in message
|I have a user who recently upgraded to Office 2007. Every time he opens
| Excel 2007 (not a spreadsheet, just the application itself) it opens as
| "Book1 Compatibility Mode". How can I fix this?
|
| I know when you open pre-07 spreadsheets they open that way, and I know
how
| to Convert or do Save As to the new .xlsx format, however, seems like his
| "Book1" template got overwritten as a 2003 .xls template or something.
|
| I apologize if this has already been posted, couldn't find an answer.
|
| Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried deleting his old template or replacing it with one in the
XLSX format?

I can try that but I wasn't sure how to find a template, what is the
extension I'd look for? Chip asked me to look for .xlt's - there were not
any, not sure if that's a template.

I did a Save and also SaveAs on book1, but all that does is let me save a
local book1.xlsx and doesn't resolve the issue.

"ksmek" wrote in message
|I have a user who recently upgraded to Office 2007. Every time he opens
| Excel 2007 (not a spreadsheet, just the application itself) it opens as
| "Book1 Compatibility Mode". How can I fix this?
|
| I know when you open pre-07 spreadsheets they open that way, and I know
how
| to Convert or do Save As to the new .xlsx format, however, seems like his
| "Book1" template got overwritten as a 2003 .xls template or something.
|
| I apologize if this has already been posted, couldn't find an answer.
|
| Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only places I know of where BOOK.XLT is loaded from at startup are the
XLSTART folders. There are usually two such folders, one under the user
data folder and the other under the installation folder.

The only other way that I know of to get a default workbook in compatibility
mode is if you make your default file save format XLS. This is done under
Excel Options, Save. I'd check that setting.

--
Jim
"ksmek" wrote in message
| Have you tried deleting his old template or replacing it with one in the
| XLSX format?
|
| I can try that but I wasn't sure how to find a template, what is the
| extension I'd look for? Chip asked me to look for .xlt's - there were not
| any, not sure if that's a template.
|
| I did a Save and also SaveAs on book1, but all that does is let me save a
| local book1.xlsx and doesn't resolve the issue.
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| like his "Book1" template got overwritten as a 2003 .xls template
|
| Have you tried deleting his old template or replacing it with one in the
| XLSX format?
|
| --
| Jim
| "ksmek" wrote in message
| |I have a user who recently upgraded to Office 2007. Every time he
opens
| | Excel 2007 (not a spreadsheet, just the application itself) it opens
as
| | "Book1 Compatibility Mode". How can I fix this?
| |
| | I know when you open pre-07 spreadsheets they open that way, and I
know
| how
| | to Convert or do Save As to the new .xlsx format, however, seems like
his
| | "Book1" template got overwritten as a 2003 .xls template or something.
| |
| | I apologize if this has already been posted, couldn't find an answer.
| |
| | Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Jim! Yes that setting was set to "Office 97/2003". I changed the
default Save to be "Excel .xlsx" and then closed & re-opened Excel and that
resolved the issue. Thanks a ton!!
Karen