Matt S. R.

Default Can I concatenate text in cells to make a working formula?

I want to be able to change the name of a file that is used to update data
without using edit links change source, for an existing link. I would
like to be able to just enter in the file name by hand in one cell and have
another cell use that new filename to complete it's formula. If I simply
link cell B1 in the file I am working in to cell A1 on a tab called
"Projection" in a file called "Nov05" on a network drive "S:", the formula in
the cell might look like:

='S:\Projections\Fall 2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection'!$A$1

What I would like to be able to do is in Cell A1 of the file I am working
in, be able to hand write the file name (or full path if necessary) and have
the formula in cell B1 not link directly to the source file but link to cell
A1 in the same file, to know which source file to get the data from. For
example, I would want cell A1 to maybe have 'S:\Projections\Fall
2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection'! in it while cell b1 would have the cell location
of the data. Cell B1 would look to cell A1 to get the path/file/tab to go to
and might just look like:

=A1$A$1

instead of a direct link which would look like:

='S:\Projections\Fall 2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection'!$A$1

I've tried several ways to combine the data in different cells to get a
working formula and tried to use the Help function to no avail. If this is
even possible to do something like this, I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Matt

Duke Carey

Assuming you've got the path, filename, ans sheetname all in cell A1 in the
form

'S:\Projections\Fall 2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection'!

and B1 contains a text value that looks like a cell reference, i.e., B10,
then use

=INDIRECT(a1&b1)

"Matt S. R." wrote:

[...]

rmellison

Try this in B1:

=INDIRECT(A1&"$A$1")

You will need to enter the correct path, file name and sheet name in cell
A1, using apostrophes and excamation marks where they would usually appear in
a normal link. This will link to 'S:\Projections\Fall
2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection'!$A$1 as per your example.

To elaborate you could use something like this in, say, D1:

=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"["&B1&"]"&C1&"'!"&$A$1)

Where A1 is your path, B1 is your filename and C1 is your sheet name.

HTH

"Matt S. R." wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

The function you want to use is =indirect().

The bad news is that =indirect() will return an error if that other workbook
isn't open.

Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a closed
workbook.

You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/
Look for pull.zip

--

Dave Peterson

Matt S. R.

Thanks so much for the replies.

It kinda works. I used both methods that Duke Carey and you suggested and
they both give me a #REF. But, If I open the file I am linking to, and the
path now becomes simply '[Nov05.xls]Projection'!, and I only use that in my
formula it works. But as soon as I close it and the path becomes the much
longer one with Drives and folders, it #REFs out also. So, for some reason,
when the source file is not open and I am using the full path, it will not
work. In summary:

Full path is:

='S:\Projections\Fall 2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection'!$A$1

and if I have 'S:\Projections\Fall 2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection'! in one cell
like A1 and $A$1 in another cell like B1, and in cell C1 I type
=Indirect(A1&B1) and the source file is not open I get a #REF. Likewise, If
I have the same 'S:\Projections\Fall 2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection'! in cell A1
and in Cell B1 I type =Indirect(A1&"$A$1") it also gives me a #REF. But when
I open the source file and the path is now ='[Nov05.xls]Projection'!$A$1 and
in cell A1 I write [Nov05.xls]Projection'! and do the same 2 methods it does
work.

Any ideas why it doesnt like going through network dirves when the file is
closed? Both the file I am working in and the source file is on the same S:
drive. Thanks!

"rmellison" wrote:

Correction:
=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"["&B1&"]"&C1&"'!"&"$A$1")

"Matt S. R." wrote:

[...]

Matt S. R.

Dave,

I got the PULL.zip and extracted it tomy desktop. Now Im not sure what to
do with the PULL.bas file I have now.

Matt

Matt S. R. wrote:

[...]

Chip Pearson

In the VBA editor, go to the File menu, choose Import File, and
choose the Pull.bas file.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

Matt S. R. wrote:

[...]

Matt S. R.

Thanks Chip. I managed to do what you said, however I do not know anything
about VB and am assuming I need to know how to do a little programming to get
the use out of it, which I do not. Thanks for the help anyway.

Matt S. R. wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

But if you put:
'S:\Projections\Fall 2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection'!
in A1
and
A1
in B1

Then you could use:
=pull(a1&b1)
in any cell

One word of warning.

Look at the cell A1.
If you don't see the leading apostrophe, then excel is "eating it up" to force
text.

Put this in A1.
''S:\Projections\Fall 2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection'!

You should be able to see both leading apostrophes in the formula bar, but only
one in cell.

An alternative:
Put
S:\Projections\Fall 2005\[Nov05.xls]Projection
in A1
put A1 in B1 (I find that confusing!)
then use:
=pull("'"&A1&"'!"&B1)