Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Text to Columns wizard greyed out

I need to use the Text to Columns Wizard - but it is greyed out on the Data
Tab. Any suggestions please?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Text to Columns wizard greyed out

If the Text to Columns Wizard is greyed out on the Data Tab, it could be due to a few reasons. Here are some possible solutions:
  1. Check if the data is in a table format. If the data is in a table format, the Text to Columns Wizard will be disabled. To enable it, convert the table to a range by selecting the table and then going to Table Tools Design Convert to Range.
  2. Check if the data is selected. The Text to Columns Wizard will only be enabled if you have selected the data that you want to split into columns.
  3. Check if the worksheet is protected. If the worksheet is protected, the Text to Columns Wizard will be disabled. To enable it, unprotect the worksheet by going to Review Unprotect Sheet.
  4. Check if the data is in a format that cannot be split. The Text to Columns Wizard can only split data that is in a delimited format, such as comma-separated values or tab-separated values. If the data is not in a delimited format, the Text to Columns Wizard will be disabled.
  5. Check if the Excel version you are using has the Text to Columns Wizard feature. Some older versions of Excel may not have this feature. In this case, you can try using a formula or a macro to split the data into columns.

I hope these suggestions help you enable the Text to Columns Wizard. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Aug 21, 10:47 am, vic1 wrote:
I need to use the Text to Columns Wizard - but it is greyed out on the Data
Tab. Any suggestions please?

Unprotect the worksheet, perhaps.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps your worksheet is protected?
--
David Biddulph

"vic1" wrote in message
I need to use the Text to Columns Wizard - but it is greyed out on the Data
Tab. Any suggestions please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you have more than one sheet selected?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP