frederic

Default Scroll horizontaly with mouse, create same system used to scroll .

Hi,

I think it would be great if mouses adopted a second scroll button, for
horizontal scrolling, just like the vertical one .... Indeed, when you work
with wide Excel spreadsheets, you can easily scroll down but to scroll from
left to right or vice-versa, you have to use the scroll bar or arrows and
it's annoying...

So, am I a millionnaire yet???

Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Frederic,

I think it would be great if mouses adopted a second scroll button, for
horizontal scrolling, just like the vertical one .... Indeed, when you work
with wide Excel spreadsheets, you can easily scroll down but to scroll from
left to right or vice-versa, you have to use the scroll bar or arrows and
it's annoying...

Microsoft's new mouses have that capability, you can tilt their wheel to
scroll sideways:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=002

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

Chip Pearson

Get a Microsoft mouse with the "TiltWheel" feature. It lets you
tilt the wheel horizontally to scroll left and right. I have a
wireless one, and am very satisfied with it. Unfortunately, the
mouse driver that comes with it causes the wheel not to work in
the VBA Editor. To fix this, download FreeWheel from
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...freewheel.html

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"frederic" wrote in message

I think it would be great if mouses adopted a second scroll
button, for
horizontal scrolling, just like the vertical one .... Indeed,
when you work
with wide Excel spreadsheets, you can easily scroll down but to
scroll from
left to right or vice-versa, you have to use the scroll bar or
arrows and
it's annoying...

So, am I a millionnaire yet???

bigwheel

"frederic" wrote in message

I think it would be great if mouses adopted a second scroll button, for
horizontal scrolling, just like the vertical one .... Indeed, when you

work
with wide Excel spreadsheets, you can easily scroll down but to scroll

from
left to right or vice-versa, you have to use the scroll bar or arrows and
it's annoying...

So, am I a millionnaire yet???

A three button mouse should also perform the necessary action. Click the
middle button and the cursor changes to a four pointed arrow then just move
the mouse in the required direction

ancharwashere

I absolutely agree the frustration of having to scroll horizontally. And
about that tilt wheel: I don't like it has just one speed: SLOW. But perhaps
it is just as easy and cheaper to built in as there need to be no hardware
changes if the right mouse button was used as a shift button. When held down
allowing the scroll wheel to be used horizontally.

"bigwheel" wrote:

"frederic" wrote in message

I think it would be great if mouses adopted a second scroll button, for
horizontal scrolling, just like the vertical one .... Indeed, when you

work
with wide Excel spreadsheets, you can easily scroll down but to scroll

from
left to right or vice-versa, you have to use the scroll bar or arrows and
it's annoying...

So, am I a millionnaire yet???

A three button mouse should also perform the necessary action. Click the
middle button and the cursor changes to a four pointed arrow then just move
the mouse in the required direction

David McRitchie

If you place mouse on horizontal scrollbar (if you have it visible)
then the scroller will scroll left or right. Since I would have to have
my (right) hand on the mouse it really doesn't bother me to
scroll left or right with the horizontal scrollbar.

My main problem is in other applications where you may have to
click on the scrollbar before being able scrolling up or down..

If you only have one screen vertical then the scroller will scroll
left and right in some other aplications.

Maybe would be nice SHIFT + Scrollwhell for a Horizontal Scroll
(for right handed people that is) but the shift with scroll makes the toolbar
buttons blink so maybe that is supposed to do something.

As far as the middle button goes it is set to ENTER for all of my applications
so if I'm not typing I can use right hand on mouse for most non typing things
and the next step is use of several shortcut keys operated by left hand
(Ctrl+C, X, V, A).
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mouse.txt
---
HTH,