Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Convert Excel spreadsheet to Ascii file format

I have a spreadsheet that I need to convert to Ascii file format that
contains things such as names, addresses, ss# and Pledge Amounts. The
record length can't be more than 356 and each of the fields has a
different file format, and length. Not sure how to go about doing this.
Can I do it in excel? Or do I need another program to do this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Carley

If you're looking for a fixed width text file then set the column widths to
what you want, e.g 10 characters set the width to 10 (even if this appears
to truncate some characters), now save as a space delimited file (*.prn) via
filesave as...

Remember you will get warnings that you can only save single sheets in this
format, just say yes to all

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"carley465" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a spreadsheet that I need to convert to Ascii file format that
contains things such as names, addresses, ss# and Pledge Amounts. The
record length can't be more than 356 and each of the fields has a
different file format, and length. Not sure how to go about doing this.
Can I do it in excel? Or do I need another program to do this?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Earl Kiosterud's free TEXTWRITE add-in should(will) do what you want.

http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP