Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default can you fill only half of a cell

I am trying to fill only half of a cell if I use a border that cuts the cell
in half. Is this even possible?

My goal - one cell equals a full hour/ I want a 1/2 cell to equal 1/2 hour.

Any thoughts?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: can you fill only half of a cell

Yes, it is possible to fill only half of a cell in Microsoft Excel. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the cell that you want to fill half of.
  2. Click on the "Borders" button in the "Font" group on the "Home" tab.
  3. Select the "More Borders" option at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "Format Cells" dialog box that appears, select the "Border" tab.
  5. Under "Presets," select the border style that cuts the cell in half (e.g., "Diagonal Down").
  6. Click on the "Fill" tab.
  7. Under "Fill Effects," select the "Gradient" option.
  8. Choose the "Two Colors" option.
  9. Select the color you want for the top half of the cell under "Color 1."
  10. Select the color you want for the bottom half of the cell under "Color 2."
  11. Adjust the "Shading Styles" and "Variants" options as desired.
  12. Click "OK" to apply the formatting to the cell.

To make a half cell equal to half an hour, you can adjust the column width to make it half the width of a full hour cell. To do this, simply click and drag the right border of the cell to the left until it is half the width of a full hour cell. Now, when you enter a value of
Formula:
"0.5"
into the half cell, it will represent half an hour.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kristen

This is not possible but why not one cell=1/2 hour, two cells - 1 hour? (If
you have headers for the hours or similar, you can highlight two cells and
FormatCellsAlignmentCentre across selection)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Kristen" wrote in message
I am trying to fill only half of a cell if I use a border that cuts the
cell
in half. Is this even possible?

My goal - one cell equals a full hour/ I want a 1/2 cell to equal 1/2
hour.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You mean you want to fill the cell with color--or you want to fill the cell with
a string?

You can't have multiple fill colors in that cell. You could put a rectangle
over half the cell and color that, though.

But why not make each cell 30 minutes.

Kristen wrote:

I am trying to fill only half of a cell if I use a border that cuts the cell
in half. Is this even possible?

My goal - one cell equals a full hour/ I want a 1/2 cell to equal 1/2 hour.

Any thoughts?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kristen wrote:
I am trying to fill only half of a cell if I use a border that cuts the cell
in half. Is this even possible?

My goal - one cell equals a full hour/ I want a 1/2 cell to equal 1/2 hour.

Any thoughts?

It would be easier to use 2 cells side by side (eg. c4 and d4) and use
conditional formatting.

By setting the format of the first to be filled by a colour if it (or
relevant cell) is equal to 0.5 or 30min or less, and the second cell to
fill if equal to 1 or 60 min or less you should achieve your desired
effect ie .

(if the font and fill colour is the same you won't see the text.)

fill a cell based on another cell Debbie Excel Worksheet Functions 5 December 22nd 06 04:52 PM
Cell References [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 November 16th 06 12:37 AM
basics? n21 New Users to Excel 7 September 21st 06 12:37 PM
GET.CELL Biff Excel Worksheet Functions 2 November 24th 04 08:16 PM