Matthew Guerreiro

Default XL2000 stock price web query stopped working

I have been using the "Microsoft Investor Stock Quotes.iqy" that was included
in Excel 2000 to get current stock prices. On July 7, 2000, this query
stopped working, returning the following error message: "Unable to open
http://investor.msn.com/external/exc...p?SYMBOL=x+y+z
Cannot download the information you requested."

Has Microsoft stopped supporting this web query?

Are there any workarounds? I have 6 years of portfolio performance data in
an excel spreadsheet that I would like to keep using.

Thanks.

Matthew Guerreiro

That's right Brian. The query worked until July 7th, 2005. Sorry for the
typo.

Mine went down as well. It took some trial and error but I found the
query on the moneycentral site:

Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/exc...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM
New:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM

Best of luck,

Jason

Matthew Guerreiro

Thanks Jason. After a bit of fiddling with the link you supplied, I got
things back to the way they were.

It would have been nice of Microsoft to have warned us about this change,
wouldn't it?

Brian Smith

Thanks for posting this fix. It worked fine after, of course, it took over an
hour's worth of experimentation to implement it since just changing the URL
in the EDIT|QUERY (the most logical approach) wouldn't save the change.
Ultimately I had to delete the entire old query and set up the new one.

Anyway, thanks again.

Brian Smith

" wrote:

Mine went down as well. It took some trial and error but I found the
query on the moneycentral site:

Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/exc...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM
New:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM

Best of luck,

Jason

DAL1066

" wrote:

Mine went down as well. It took some trial and error but I found the
query on the moneycentral site:

Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/exc...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM
New:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM

Best of luck,

Jason

Thanks...how do I enter this new query or modify the old one...please help

Doug

David McRitchie

Hi Doug,
When you post something new it should *not* have any indication in front
as that indicates previous material, the deeper (, ) the earlier within the thread,
you could also clip out less relevant parts, especially if you are going to
bottom post, because most people will have just read the previous posts.

You will have to look at your macro code to see what you have to change.
It is not going to be exactly the same change for everybody, but where
two symbols are entered the format of the output differs than if only one
symbol were supplied.

Based on Jason Welles information

Different Ways of Using Web Queries in Microsoft Office Excel 2003, MSDN
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...asp?frame=true

watch out for old links within query:
Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/exc...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM
New: http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM

Old: http://quote.money.cnn.com/quote/quote?symbols=msft
New: http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.htm...ymb=MSFT%20IBM (not sure)

You will have to look to see where the macro is that you are running and look for
code that invokes bringing up and HTML page but as a query. If you look at
the several MSDN examples in teh first link you will get an idea of what you are looking
for based on the example below that link.

-
HTH, (see my stocks.htm page)

"DAL1066" wrote in message news:7E10D7F8-A7A9-44A2-8D7E-
Thanks...how do I enter this new query or modify the old one...please help
Doug

Alias2k5

FYI the MSN tech support people were unaware of this when I emailed them -
they referred me to Excel tech support, who sent me back. Nice to see the
MSN reference pages here.

I think MSN supported both the "old" and "new" URLs for some time, then
terminated the old one. I was lucky enough to have a currency exchange
worksheet with the new URL that continued to work when the old worksheet
failed, and found it had a different query parameter. For those not sure how
to change:

1. L-click an active cell in the table (not the B7 list)
2. This lights up the query toolbar buttons: L-click "Edit Query"
3. Change the "Enter the address" (top) box by replacing the old with the new:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/...

" wrote:

Mine went down as well. It took some trial and error but I found the
query on the moneycentral site:

Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/exc...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM
New:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM

Best of luck,

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
proinwv

Add my thanks to the list. this fix does work. BTW my access to the site went
down and then returned and went down again in October. Go figure!

BOO to MSN for not making the info available.
--
PROINWV

" wrote:

Mine went down as well. It took some trial and error but I found the
query on the moneycentral site:

Old: http://investor.msn.com/external/exc...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM
New:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor...YMBOL=MSFT,IBM

Best of luck,

Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kvdwerf

Hi,

Can anybody try this sheet with Moneycetral quotes in Excel 2000?
http://www.vertex42.com/Files/StockQuoteTemplate.xls

It works fine on my Excel2003, but fails in Excel2000, giving the
following message:

Unable to open
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/external/excel/quotes.asp?SYMBOL=$INDU+$COMP,$INX,$COMP.
Cannot download the information you requested.
Also with simple IBM as single quote requested, it fails.
Now, my Yahoo queries run well uner Xl2000.
Anyone any idea?

--
kvdwerf
kvdwerf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4377

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
B. Wingbermuehle

I'm having a similar problem. But my queries work for some people and not
for others. Is there a setting that has to be changed?