Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default the countA function is counting everything even empty cells

I have an Excel spreadsheet with 8000 rows. I would like to know how many
cells in a particular column have value or text entered. When I use the
formula =countA(e5:e8003), the number returned is 7998 (the number of rows in
the column). As I eyeball the document, obviously not every cell has a
number or text in it, though. Shouldn't this formula only count the cells in
that range that do have text or a number?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try: =COUNTA(e5:e8003)-countblank(e5:e8003) and you're golden.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.