Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Format cell as military time

I want to type in 0700 in a cell and press <tab to go to the next cell and
it will auto format it like 07:00 (military time). ex: type in 1400 and it
display as 14:00, etc. In other words, I want to be lazy and not have to type
the colon. How do I need to format the cell?
Thanks... Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Note that US/NATO military times do not use colons.

To do what you're asking, see

http://cpearson.com/excel/datetimeentry.htm

In article ,
Mike wrote:

I want to type in 0700 in a cell and press <tab to go to the next cell and
it will auto format it like 07:00 (military time). ex: type in 1400 and it
display as 14:00, etc. In other words, I want to be lazy and not have to type
the colon. How do I need to format the cell?
Thanks... Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

JE,

I appreciate the info but I am not familiar with how to set this up. Where
do I need to paste that code in my worksheet to make it work?

Thanks...
Mike

Mike wrote:

I want to type in 0700 in a cell and press <tab to go to the next cell and
it will auto format it like 07:00 (military time). ex: type in 1400 and it
display as 14:00, etc. In other words, I want to be lazy and not have to type
the colon. How do I need to format the cell?
Thanks... Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See

In article ,
Mike wrote:

I appreciate the info but I am not familiar with how to set this up. Where
do I need to paste that code in my worksheet to make it work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your goal is to be lazy, why not just format the cells to military
time and then type in "1 pm", "6 am", "11 pm", etc. The output would
be: 13:00, 6:00, 23:00.

Personally typing 1 pm is faster than typing 1300 since your fingers
toggle between numbers and letters.

If you want to have 6:00 appear at 06:00 then instead of formatting to
time, go to custom and enter hh:mm into the box.

--
shadestreet
shadestreet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7092

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy the second lot of code from Chip's site.

Right-click on your sheet tab and "View Code"

Paste into that sheet module.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Mike wrote:

I want to type in 0700 in a cell and press <tab to go to the next cell and
it will auto format it like 07:00 (military time). ex: type in 1400 and it
display as 14:00, etc. In other words, I want to be lazy and not have to type
the colon. How do I need to format the cell?
Thanks... Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

However, note that this will also implement the same AutoCorrect in Word
and other Office apps, too.