Piet L.

Default combination chart (different graph types)

Hey,

I have a line graph,
now I want to extend this with a high/low/.. graph type.
But I'm not able to do this

I need this because I want to add a 95% realibilty interval.

Thanks
Jon Peltier

Hi Piet -

You can add the high and low series (or 5%-95%) to your line chart, format these new
series to be invisible (no markers or connecting lines), then format any series, and
on the Options tab, select High-Low Lines. Excel draws a high-low line from the
highest value to the lowest value among all the points at a given X category
(regardless of which series happens to be highest or lowest).

This only works if the high and low series are line type series. If you've got a
scatter chart, you can get the same effect with error bars. Suppose your X and Y
data are in columns A and B. In C put the error bar lengths for positive Y error
bars (high minus column B's value) and in D put the negative Y error bar lengths
(column B minus low). Format the series, and on the Y error bars tab, click in the
Custom + box and with your mouse select the range in column C, then click in the
Custom - box, and select the range in column D.

You can use this error bar approach for Line chart series as well; for a scatter
chart series, you also have the ability to add X error bars.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services