toyota58

Default How to find MATCH numbers ?

Hello,

Anybody knows how to find MATCH numbers ?

Example :

Cell A1 = 1457
Cell A2 = 2467

Return MATCH numbers are 4 and 7.

Thank You.

Stefi

Hi Toyota58,

This UDF will do it:

Public Function Matchdigits(string1 As String, string2 As String) As String
Dim length As Integer
length = WorksheetFunction.Min(Len(string1), Len(string2))
matchdigits = ""
For l = 1 To length
If Mid(string1, l, 1) = Mid(string2, l, 1) Then Matchdigits =
Matchdigits & Mid(string1, l, 1)
Next l
End Function

Put in the cell you want the result in

=Matchdigits(A1,A2)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛toyota58€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hello,

Anybody knows how to find MATCH numbers ?

Example :

Cell A1 = 1457
Cell A2 = 2467

Return MATCH numbers are 4 and 7.

Thank You.

toyota58

Sorry...I'm a newbie. Am I doing the right thing ? I went to TOOLS
MAKRO VB Editor (ALT + F11) Insert module...copy and paste ...all
I get is Syntax error...

If Mid(string1, l, 1) = Mid(string2, l, 1) Then Matchdigits =
Matchdigits & Mid(string1, l, 1)

..

Biff

Hi!

If Mid(string1, l, 1) = Mid(string2, l, 1) Then Matchdigits =
Matchdigits & Mid(string1, l, 1)

This UDF works but the problem is line wrap. The above code needs to be all
on one line or use the line continuation character: _ (underscore)

If Mid(string1, l, 1) = Mid(string2, l, 1) Then Matchdigits = _
Matchdigits & Mid(string1, l, 1)

Biff

"toyota58" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry...I'm a newbie. Am I doing the right thing ? I went to TOOLS
MAKRO VB Editor (ALT + F11) Insert module...copy and paste ...all
I get is Syntax error...

If Mid(string1, l, 1) = Mid(string2, l, 1) Then Matchdigits =
Matchdigits & Mid(string1, l, 1)

.

toyota58

Dear Stefi and Biff,

Thank You so much . It works OK now.

toyota58

Very sorry again but ...the formula can only work in a certain way.

Example

Cell A1 = 2469
Cell A2 = 1359
Cell A3 = 9 This works OK

But it won't work if...

Cell A1 = 24569
Cell A2 = 69
Cell A3 = No Return

Cell A1 = 134
Cell A2 = 467
Cell A3 = No Return

Sorry to trouble you all but it was my mistake not to explain in
detail...

Stefi

Yes, you must be very precise in defining your demands!

This is the function that does what you have defined up to now:

Public Function Matchdigits2(string1 As String, string2 As String) As String
Dim length As Integer
length1 = Len(string1)
length2 = Len(string2)
Matchdigits2 = ""
For l1 = 1 To length1
For l2 = 1 To length2
If Mid(string1, l1, 1) = Mid(string2, l2, 1) Then _
Matchdigits2 = Matchdigits2 & Mid(string1, l1, 1)
Next l2
Next l1
End Function

You did not give rules for multiple occurence of a digit. This function will
put a digit in the result as many times as it occurs. Is that what you want?

Regards,
Stefi

€˛toyota58€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Very sorry again but ...the formula can only work in a certain way.

Example

Cell A1 = 2469
Cell A2 = 1359
Cell A3 = 9 This works OK

But it won't work if...

Cell A1 = 24569
Cell A2 = 69
Cell A3 = No Return

Cell A1 = 134
Cell A2 = 467
Cell A3 = No Return

Sorry to trouble you all but it was my mistake not to explain in
detail...

toyota58

Dear Stefi,

Thank You so much...This is exactly what I want..

Stefi

You are welcome! Thanks for the reply!
Stefi

€˛toyota58€¯ ezt Ć*rta: