Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Adding Data from Multiple Spreadsheets

I have createda spreadsheet which includes separate workbooks with figures
for each month of the year, I have also created a workbook within this
spreadsheet which is for the yearly figures but i cant seem to figure out how
to create the right formula to add the data from the monthly spreadsheets
onto the yerly spreadsheet. This is in Office 2007 on windows vista. Can
any one help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Belle -

First, an FYI: An Excel file is called a workbook. Within each workbook
are tabbed pages that can be worksheets or charts. Your post seems to
confuse workbook with worksheet.

If I understand your question correctly, you have a WORKBOOK that contains
WORKSHEETS (or sheets, for short) for each month and another sheet for the
annual totals. You want to add the values in the monthly sheets to get the
annual totals.

Let's say the annual sheet is the left-most tab, that Jan-Dec are in order
to the right, that each sheet is named with the 3 letter month abbreviation,
and you want to add the values in cell B2 on all the monthly sheets. Use
this formula:

=sum('Jan:Dec'!B2)

"Belle" wrote:

I have createda spreadsheet which includes separate workbooks with figures
for each month of the year, I have also created a workbook within this
spreadsheet which is for the yearly figures but i cant seem to figure out how
to create the right formula to add the data from the monthly spreadsheets
onto the yerly spreadsheet. This is in Office 2007 on windows vista. Can
any one help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I've got one step further that I need help with...

I have spreadsheets named Jan1, Jan2, Jan3, etc. - 10 for each month,
separated by quarters (therefore, Jan1-Mar30). Data entered into these
spreadsheets is entered as an X.

So, hopefully to clarify, if cell J18 contains the letter X in any or all
spreadsheets from Jan1-Mar10, I need the total to add on the quarterly sheet.

Hopefully that made sense? Hopefully enough for someone to help me? It seems
so simple and I feel like it's RIGHT there, but I just can't grasp it.

Thanks in advance!
--
creek533